Creamy Pesto Caprese Potato Salad is a delicious spring and summer salad that is lightened up with Greek Yogurt!
With my garden rapidly growing, my herbs and tomatoes are sprouting like CRAZY! They are so tasty and had to include them in this fresh Creamy Pesto Caprese Potato Salad! It's lightened up by using Greek yogurt in place of mayo, and you will love the fresh tang it brings to the Caprese Potato Salad!
I wanted to use the fresh basil from my garden, which I was super excited about. I love growing different things and then using them in my meals! I harvested the basil and made a delicious creamy basil pesto! It's simple and all you really need is a blender or food processor. I wanted it to be healthy though, not mayo based, so I decided to experiment with greek yogurt. It turned out delicious!
I added grape tomatoes and chunks of fresh mozzarella to have a 'caprese' salad, and it would great! Using the greek yogurt in place of the mayo in the 'creamy pesto' really lightened things up, and made the flavor of the fresh basil pop.
Great times to serve this Creamy Pesto Caprese Potato Salad:
- Hosting a Memorial Day BBQ?! Whip this up and serve in a gorgeous serving bowl for your guests!
- This Creamy Pesto Caprese Potato Salad is always a hit over the fourth of July! Your fresh basil should be plentiful by then as well as your tomatoes!
- With Labor Day a hop skip away from the 4th, this salad can be made for any holiday occasion!
- Hosting friends for a pool party?! Cook this up the day before and allow flavors to meld in the fridge overnight - YUM!
- Serve alongside this delicious and healthy Air Fryer Fish!
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts or other nuts
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ TBS lemon juice
- 3 lbs red potatoes washed, dried, and cubed
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cubed
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for 8 minutes. Strain and run cold water over potatoes to stop cooking.
While cooking, prepare the pesto: In a food processor combine basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and salt. Pulse a few times to chop everything up. Once chopped, add lemon juice and start processing. Slowly add olive oil while mixing, and you will see the ingredients start to come together like a paste/pesto. I use about ¼th cup but you might use more or less. Turn off and scrape down sides. Add Greek yogurt to food processor, and then process for about 30 seconds or until completely combined.
In a large mixing or serving bowl, combine cooled potatoes, tomatoes, mozzarella, and then add the creamy pesto on top. Using a spatula, carefully fold the pesto into the potatoes, making sure to coat evenly. You don't want to mash the tomatoes or potatoes so do this carefully and slowly.
Once evenly coated, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve and enjoy!