No Mayo Avocado Tuna Melt is the perfect lunch to get out of the midweek slump! Filled with solid white albacore tuna and veggies, it’s delicious and easy!
Now that the weather is getting nicer, I often enjoy cooking up a tuna melt, but I dislike the feeling of the heavy mayo-full tuna. This is why I have been opting for these delicious No Mayo Avocado Tuna Melts lately! Full of fresh vegetables, melted cheese, Solid White Albacore Tuna, they make the perfect lunch or dinner!
I really like using Solid White Albacore in these No Mayo Avocado Tuna Melts because there is just a big difference in the consistency of albacore tuna compared to chunk light tuna. It has a firm texture, but comes together effortlessly using avocado as a binder. It has a nice light color and super fresh taste; paired with avocado and fresh veggies, Avocado Tuna Melts are really the perfectly balanced meal with lean protein, healthy fats, and important vitamins and minerals.
How to make Avocado Tuna Melts:
- Get all of the ingredients together, and whip up the solid white albacore and avocado mixture.
- It’s simple: add strained tuna and 1/2 an avocado to a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then just mix it until it’s all combined.
- Grab the bread and load it with cheese, tuna mixture, tomatoes, lettuce, and some more cheese!
- Butter the outsides of the bread and pop it into a skillet. After just a few minutes you have the perfect Avocado Tuna Melt!
- Low Carb Avocado Tuna Melts are the perfect healthy eating solution. Made with creamy avocado, and then piled over a juicy thick cut tomato and topped with cheese.
Like grilled sandwiches as much as I do? Checkout these other delicious grilled sandwiches from Domestic Superhero:
- Spinach and Pesto grilled cheese is creamy, delicious, and has a tang of pesto that is to die for!
- Turkey Cranberry Grilled Cheese utilizes everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving leftovers in a delicious sandwich!
- Apple Grilled Cheese has tangy granny smith apples and cremay gouda cheese between 2 slices of thick bread!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
No Mayo Avocado Tuna Melt is the perfect lunch to get out of the midweek slump! Filled with solid white albacore tuna and veggies, it's delicious and easy!
- 4 slices whole wheat/grain bread
- 1 can Solid White Albacore, strained
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 4 leaves red leaf lettuce
- 4 slices havarti cheese (or other white cheese)
- 1 TBS butter
In a medium bowl, add tuna, avocado, salt, and pepper; mix using a fork until completely combined.
Make your sandwiches: Place a slice of bread on the bottom and then layer cheese, tuna mixture, tomatoes, lettuce, and another slice of cheese. Top with remaining bread slices. Spread butter on outside slices of bread.
Using a large skillet heated over medium heat; add sandwiches (butter side down), and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until bread is lightly browned. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is browned (usually the 2nd side takes a shorter amount of time to cook).
Remove from skillet and let rest for 2-3 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice the sandwiches down the middle and serve immediately.
Makes 2 sandwiches. Recipe can be doubled to make 4 sandwiches!
Originally published Apr 18, 2017. Updated 6/4/19