This classic Tres Leches Cake is a favorite throughout the year, but definitely during the holidays!
Now that we are getting close to the holidays, I wanted to share my favorite family dessert, Tres Leches Cake. It's been a tradition for the last 8 years to make it every Christmas, and everyone LOVES it! Tres Leches Cake is made with three milks: Sweetened Condensed Milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream. The cake is soaked in the milks, then topped with whipped cream. This classic Tres Leches Cake is a favorite throughout the year, but definitely during the holidays!
Last year I demanded my mother in law share her famous recipe for Tres Leches Cake with me. She would make it every year, but I really wanted to learn how to make it as well so that I can share it with my kids and keep the tradition going forever. It's actually very simple to make this cake, but it does take some patience.
How to make Tres Leches Cake:
**Scroll down for full printable ingredient list and directions**
- Get all the ingredients together.
- Bake the cake according to the directions on the box, then allow to cool 15 minutes.
- Combine the three milks, and set aside.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a fork to poke holes all over the cake. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap (I like to put toothpicks into the cake so the wrap doesn't touch the cake). Place into the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Make the whipped cream by combining heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar and beating vigorously. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake evenly, then cover and refrigerate the Tres Leches Cake at least an hour.
That's it! Tres Leches Cake is simple to make, and so insanely delicious!
Tips for making Tres Leches Cake:
- Use a boxed cake mix! This makes it much easier and follow the directions on the back of the box to make the cake. I like using a 'moist' yellow cake mix, and any brand is fine.
- I highly recommend making this cake at least a day before you need it, because it gets even more delicious the longer it sits in the fridge. I really think it's best after a few days in the fridge, but it's hard to resist eating it!
- If you like to mix things up, try Chocolate Tres Leches Cake as well!
When to serve Tres Leches Cake:
- The holidays are the perfect time to share Tres Leches Cake with family and friends.
- Make Tres Leches Cake for the next potluck you attend.
- Tres Leches Cake is the perfect birthday cake! Make sure to keep it refrigerated until you need it!
- Holiday party at work? Make this delicious Tres Leches Cake and WOW all of your colleagues!
If you like desserts, checkout these other amazing recipes:
- Copycat Starbucks Lemon Loaf
- Apple Monkey Bread with Caramel Drizzle
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies (soft cookies)
- Milky Way Caramel Cheesecake Brownies
- TWIX® Cheesecake Bars
- Instant Pot Snickers Cheesecake
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
For NEW RECIPES delivered straight to your inbox, signup for our email list!
Tres Leches Cake, or three milks cake, is a fluffy white cake soaked in a delicious sweet milk mixture. The perfect authentic dessert!
- 1 box moist yellow cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
Bake cake according to box directions using a 9x13 baking dish. Allow cake to cool 15 minutes, then using a fork poke holes all over the cake, making sure to poke through to the bottom.
Make milk mixture: combine 1 cup heavy cream, Sweetened Condensed Milk, and evaporated milk. Mix well.
Pour milk mixture over the top of the cake, taking care to spread everywhere. Cover the cake with plastic wrap, then refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Make whip cream: Using a stand mixer, add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a CHILLED bowl (place bowl in freezer for at least 5 minutes before making). Turn speed on low to begin to combine, then once the powdered sugar is slightly mixed, increase speed to high. Whip for about 3 minutes on high speed, or until whipped cream is thickened.
Spread whipped cream all over the top of the cake evenly. Cover, then place in the fridge at least an hour, preferably overnight. Cut into slices and serve. Keep in refrigerator when not serving.