This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of NESTLE® LA LECHERA®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Now that we are getting close to the holidays, I wanted to share my favorite family dessert, Tres Leches Cake. It’s been a tradition for the last 8 years to make it every Christmas, and everyone LOVES it! Tres Leches Cake is made with three milks: NESTLÉ® LA LECHERA® Sweetened Condensed Milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream. The cake is soaked in the milks, then topped with whipped cream. This classic Tres Leches Cake is a favorite throughout the year, but definitely during the holidays!
Last year I demanded my mother in law share her famous recipe for Tres Leches Cake with me. She would make it every year, but I really wanted to learn how to make it as well so that I can share it with my kids and keep the tradition going forever. It’s actually very simple to make this cake, and the most important part is using LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk. You can find it at Publix in the baking aisle, and right now you can save .75 cents if you purchase two LA LECHERA products at Publix now through 12/16/18. I always buy the 14 oz. can, but Publix also offers a squeeze bottle that now can be found with new packaging! Using LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk ensures the authentic flavor will be spot on!
How to make Tres Leches Cake:
**Scroll down for full printable ingredient list and directions**
- Get all the ingredients together including LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk.
- Bake the cake according to the directions on the box, then allow to cool 15 minutes.
- Combine the three milks, and set aside.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a fork to poke holes all over the cake. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap (I like to put toothpicks into the cake so the wrap doesn’t touch the cake). Place into the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Make the whipped cream by combining heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar and beating vigorously. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake evenly, then cover and refrigerate the Tres Leches Cake at least an hour.
That’s it! Tres Leches Cake is simple to make, and so insanely delicious!
Tips for making Tres Leches Cake:
- Use a boxed cake mix! This makes it much easier and follow the directions on the back of the box to make the cake. I like using a ‘moist’ yellow cake mix, and any brand is fine.
- I highly recommend making this cake at least a day before you need it, because it gets even more delicious the longer it sits in the fridge. I really think it’s best after a few days in the fridge, but it’s hard to resist eating it!
- Stock up on LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk and evaporated milk, then you’ll most likely have all the ingredients to make Tres Leches Cake any time you want!
- If you like to mix things up, try Chocolate Tres Leches Cake as well!
When to serve Tres Leches Cake:
- The holidays are the perfect time to share Tres Leches Cake with family and friends.
- Make Tres Leches Cake for the next potluck you attend.
- Tres Leches Cake is the perfect birthday cake! Make sure to keep it refrigerated until you need it!
- Holiday party at work? Make this delicious Tres Leches Cake and WOW all of your colleagues!
Tres Leches Cake, or three milks cake, is a fluffy white cake soaked in a delicious sweet milk mixture. The perfect authentic dessert!
- 1 box moist yellow cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14 ounces 14 ounces LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Bake cake according to box directions using a 9x13 baking dish. Allow cake to cool 15 minutes, then using a fork poke holes all over the cake, making sure to poke through to the bottom.
Make milk mixture: combine 1 cup heavy cream, LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk, and evaporated milk. Mix well.
Pour milk mixture over the top of the cake, taking care to spread everywhere. Cover the cake with plastic wrap, then refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Make whip cream: Using a stand mixer, add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a CHILLED bowl (place bowl in freezer for at least 5 minutes before making). Turn speed on low to begin to combine, then once the powdered sugar is slightly mixed, increase speed to high. Whip for about 3 minutes on high speed, or until whipped cream is thickened.
Spread whipped cream all over the top of the cake evenly. Cover, then place in the fridge at least an hour, preferably overnight. Cut into slices and serve. Keep in refrigerator when not serving.
I would love to hear more about the recipes YOU make at home with LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk! What are your family favorites? What are your traditional recipes? I would love for you to try this Tres Leches Cake using LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk and let me know in the comments how you like it!