Delicious fresh basil combined with juicy summer lemons make the most mouthwatering Basil Lemonade! It's perfect plain, or with some added alcohol!
I have been experimenting all summer with fun drinks, and this one is one of the best! I’ve been growing fresh herbs in my garden, so I have been infusing them into drinks and different recipes, and it’s always so delicious. This Basil Lemonade is so fresh and delicious, it will be your go-to drink! Basil is BY FAR my favorite herb, and it is so tasty in meals as well as drinks!
I've already shared Strawberry Basil Margaritas with you as well as One Pot Basil Chicken!
For this basil lemonade you do need to make basil simple syrup, but don't worry because it is EASY!
How to make Basil Simple Syrup:
- Take 1 cup of granulated sugar and mix it with 1 cup of water in a small sauce-pot. Add a handful (about ½ cup or more) of clean basil leaves to the pot. Over medium heat, bring it up to a simmer while you stir to dissolve the sugar, then lower the heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes on low low heat.
- After the time is up, carefully remove the basil leaves and pour the simple syrup into a container. Set it aside. Find more tips on the FULL RECIPE HERE.
One the simple syrup is ready make the lemonade:
How to make Homemade Basil Lemonade:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- Get the ingredients together and prep the basil by cleaning it.
- Juice the lemons using a squeezer like this one which is my favorite!
- In a large pitcher combine the lemon juice, sugar, water, and basil simple syrup. Add a handful of basil leaves to the mixture. Stir and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Want to make it BOOZY?
- I suggest adding vodka to this lemonade for a delicious cocktail! Add 1-2 ounces of vodka per 8 ounces of lemonade.
- Other liquors that would work well with this basil lemonade: white rum or tequila.
Do you like fresh drinks as much as I do? Checkout these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
- Berry Boozy Popsicles
- Boozy Strawberry Pineapple Popsicles
- Crock Pot Caramel Apple Cider
- Easy Watermelon Margaritas
- Coconut Cream Latte
- Rainbow Layered Smoothies
- Skinny Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Delicious fresh basil combined with juicy summer lemons make the most mouthwatering Basil Lemonade! It is perfect plain, or with some added alcohol!
- 6 lemons juiced (rolling the lemons between your counter and hand will help get a lot of extra juice out)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup basil simple syrup (see recipe above)
- extra basil and lemon wedges for garnish
In a large pitcher combine the lemon juice, sugar, water, and basil simple syrup. Add a handful of basil leaves, a handful of ice, and stir until well combined.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours and serve with ice and basil and lemon slices for garnish. Enjoy!
Recipe for Basil Simple Syrup here.
Recipe create August 2014. Updated May 2022.
Makes 7 eight ounce servings.
Gah; I just noticed there are no comments! I’ve been using this recipe of yours for at least five years! Soooo good
Thank you so much Heather! I am so happy you love it too!
I have so many lemons, and this recipe was perfect for them! So easy to whip together and so tasty. Thanks!
Oh wow! What a lovely and refreshing drink! The family is going to absolutely love this especially with these hot days we've been having! So excited to give this lemonade a try!
Basil is one of my favorites!! I love adding it in so many recipes & I was pleasantly surprised how much I love it in lemonade! It will be hard to drink regular lemonade again!
Love lemonade, but I've never had it with basil before. How exciting!
We love this drink, it is so unique and refreshing.
Delicious! Added a tiny bit of vodka the second time around for a little kick and it was still great.
Yes! The cocktail is also amazing!
Lemon and basil is such an awesome combo! Love the idea to use in a lemonade!
This is now our summer favorite drink! Amazingly delicious!
This Delicious fresh basil looks totally awesome!
Hands down my favorite drink! So light and refreshing!
It is so tasty!!
katerina @ diethood.com
This is such a light and refreshing drink! I would love one right now!
I added some vodka as suggested and this was such a refreshing summer cocktail! Next time I will add some pureed strawberries too! Thank you!
I have made this countless times! I serve this to our guests in our Guest House and they always rave about it! Thank you for a great recipe!
Super refreshing, this is our go to lemonade recipe.
So refreshing, and the basil makes it extra fancy!
The most refreshing summer drink ever!! I am obsessed!!
Amazing! Basil is the perfect addition. It tastes delicious when you add a little vodka too 🙂
My basil garden was overflowing and this was the perfect thing to make with it! So refreshing and delicious!
This is seriously refreshing!! I'll definitely enjoy this all summer long!!
This has been one of our favorite summer drinks! Always a hit at my house!
Approximately how much juice is in 6 lemons?
A lemon produces between 1/4 and 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed juice. That equals about 4 to 5 tablespoons per lemon. To get the maximum amount of liquid from the fruit, microwave the lemon for 10 seconds before cutting and squeezing.