One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken has a spicy sauce, is easy to make, and it's healthy. This one skillet meal is the perfect dinner!
This One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken is seriously such a simple recipe, and everyone always loves it. If you like easy healthy recipes (scroll all the way down for nutritional info) that pack a punch of flavor, this one is definitely for you!
One of the things that makes this One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken so easy, is that the ingredients are minimal, and you might even have most of them in your fridge or pantry, especially if you cook asian style food ever. The other thing that makes it super easy...ONE POT!!
I've shared so many One Pot recipes with you such as One Pot Spicy Thai Pasta and One Pot Mexican Rice Skillet. Having a high sided skillet (like this specific high sided skillet) will change your one pot game - trust me, you need it in your life!
How to Make One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- First, prep the chicken and other ingredients. Heat oil in a high sided skillet over medium heat, then add garlic and shallots and cook for 1 minutes. Add the chicken and saute for 7-9 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce: In a small bowl combine fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, chili paste, water, cornstarch and salt, mix to combine. Add mixture to chicken and turn heat to high; cook for 1 minute or until the sauce thickens. Stir to coat the chicken. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in the basil leaves and the serve.
This Spicy Basil Chicken is healthy too, coming in around 254 calories and 1g carbohydrates (see bottom for nutritional information) for one fourth of the recipe (most likely over 1 cup of chicken). Factor in whatever you serve this with as well, but it's overall a low calorie dish.
Different ways to serve the Spicy Basil Chicken:
- Serve over brown rice with steamed vegetables.
- Serve over low carb cauliflower rice for a healthy low carb option.
- Whip up some quinoa on Sunday, and use throughout the week - serve the Spicy Basil Chicken overtop the quinoa.
- Make my One Pot Spicy Thai Noodles or Spicy Thai Zoodles, and add the chicken in with the recipe - so good!
- Add the One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken to a delicious fresh salad - use extra sauce (or double the sauce recipe), and use it as a delicious low calorie salad dressing!
If you enjoy healthy recipes, be sure to check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
- One Pot or Crock Pot Loaded Quinoa Chili
- One Skillet Beef & Broccoli
- Chinese Beef Green Bean Stir Fry
- Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup (vegetarian and meat option)
- Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Sheet Pan Asian Chicken & Vegetables (One Pan)
One Pot Spicy Basil Chicken boasts a delicious spicy sauce, is easy to make, and is also healthy (254 calories and 2g carbs per serving!)- it's the perfect dinner!
- 2 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 TBS fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ¼ teaspoon chili paste such as sriracha
- 2 teaspoon water
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- dash of salt
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves torn apart
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, allow to heat up. Add shallots and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, chili paste, water, cornstarch and salt. Add mixture to chicken and turn heat to high; cook for 1 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Stir to coat the chicken. Remove from heat and stir in basil leaves.
I love to double the sauce recipe for this recipe. It gives extra to serve over rice or whatever you decide to serve the chicken over.
Originally posted in 2016. Updated January 2021.