This Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad is full of tomatoes, artichokes, peas, and topped with a creamy pesto sauce! It’s sure to be a BBQ favorite!
Over Memorial Day weekend we hosted a BBQ, and I knew this Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad would be perfect for occasion. Since I was a little girl, I’ve always loved pasta salad in the summer. My mom used to make it all the time, and she would throw in whatever veggies we had on hand or in the garden; It was always so good! I’ve been trying to grow a couple herbs and veggies this year, so I thought I could make use of my basil plant and make some savory homemade pesto. This Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad is the perfect BBQ side dish!
I adore anything with pesto, so this creamy pesto pasta salad was no brainer for me. One thing I realized while grocery shopping though, is that pine nuts you need to make pesto are crazy expensive! I’ve heard Costco carries a large bag for a reasonable price, but you could also make your pesto with a different type of nut…walnuts, almonds…etc. If you want to take a shortcut, just buy a jar of premade pesto – easy peasy!
The creamy pesto pasta salad is full of juicy cherry tomatoes, artichoke, green peas, and of course pesto. If you don’t like a certain component in this salad, you can always substitute it with something else; That’s the thing with pasta salad, you can pretty much throw whatever you want into it, and it will turn out delicious!
- Use a stock pot to cook your pasta, then mix everything in the big pot – it will make mixing SO much easier!
- Serve this creamy pesto pasta salad during potlucks, holiday BBQs or for dinner. For more protein add some shredded chicken!
- This pasta salad only gets better with time! I recommend making it the night before you need it, then letting it chill overnight in the fridge. All the flavors meld together and make it super tasty!
- 1 lb pasta I like rigatoni or a small circular pasta
- 1 cup homemade or store bought pesto
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 16 ounces artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and chopped roughly
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Cook pasta el dente according to directions, drain and set aside in a large bowl.
In a small bowl mix pesto sauce and mayonnaise together and set aside.
With the pasta, add peas, artichokes, and tomatoes. Pour pesto mixture over the top and toss to mix and coat evenly.
Allow the salad to cool in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving, up to overnight.
Garnish with additional cheese and fresh basil if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Like easy BBQ recipes as much as I do?! Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!