Pear Salad is a classic southern comfort food! Don’t knock it until you try it; with only four ingredients so you can whip it up in no time!
I know what you are thinking, pear salad?! Trust me, growing up in Michigan I had never heard of pear salad. However, now that I live in Georgia, I hear about it ALL THE TIME. It’s kind of crazy in my honest opinion, but it’s one of those things you just can’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. So, have you tried pear salad?
Pear Salad is simple because it only has 3 ingredients, four if you want to get fancy. All you need is canned pears, mayonnaise, and shredded cheddar cheese. If you want to sweeten things up, add some maraschino cherries on top! You basically place the pears center side up, then scoop some mayo on top (my southern friend demands Blue Plate, however her southern friend says Duke’s…), then add your shredded cheddar cheese and pop a cherry on top!
Not only is Pear Salad easy to make and super delicious, but it’s also cheap! It’s about $1 for a can of pears, probably .50 cents worth of mayo for the whole can of pears, and maybe .75 worth of cheese! Can’t get much cheaper for a quick and easy side dish! I highly suggest you take this pear salad to your next potluck or get together. Even if you don’t live in the south, this will be a HUGE conversation starter and it will be interesting who actually tries it! Make sure you tell them, don’t knock it until you try it!
When pear salad is appropriate:
- Having a holiday party?! No party is complete without the pear salad served up with the other appetizers. Try serving it alongside some Cranberry Baked Brie.
- Pear salad is perfect for any potluck! Whip it up, throw it in a storage container, and then pop it in the fridge until party time. It’s even good if you make it the night before!
- Couples game night?! Serve Pear Salad while playing your favorite games such as Cards Against Humanity or Catchphrase!
Pear Salad is a classic southern comfort food! Don't knock it until you try it; with only four ingredients so you can whip it up in no time!
- 2 cans pear halves, drained
- 1/2-3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- maraschino cherries, optional
Place drained pear halved center side up on a serving dish. Add about 1 TBS mayo to the center of each pear half. Then sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Top with maraschino cherries if desired!
Serve and enjoy!
- When not eating, keep refrigerated.
- Can be made night before and stored covered in the refrigerator.
Like appetizers and side dishes as much as I do?! Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!