Pear Salad is a classic southern comfort food! These canned pears topped with mayonnaise, cheese, and a cherry will be a hit at the next potluck!
I know what you are thinking, pear salad?! Trust me, growing up in Michigan I’d never heard of pear salad. However, now that I live in Georgia, I hear about it ALL THE TIME.
It’s kind of crazy in my honest opinion, but it’s one of those things you just can’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. So, have you tried pear salad? Another southern classic we make all the time is Pimento Cheese, have you tried it?
Pear Salad is simple because it only has 3 ingredients, four if you want to get fancy.
How to make pear salad, the southern classic recipe:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- Canned pears, mayonnaise, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- If you want to sweeten things up, add some maraschino cherries on top!
- Place the pears center side up, then scoop some mayo on top (my southern friend demands Blue Plate, however her southern friend says Duke’s…), then add the shredded cheddar cheese and pop a cherry on top!
- Some people also like to serve it over a bed of ice burg lettuce- YUM!
What is Pear Salad?
This is a fruit salad with pears, mayonnaise, and cheese. Some people like to serve it with a cherry on top or over a bed of lettuce. Its origins aren’t completely known, but we do know it started in the south.
I have heard from many southerners that they grew up with it served in their school cafeteria, and many stories about people’s grannies bringing it to events, or serving it every Sunday.
Every story I hear about pear salad has comforting thoughts of childhood and growing up around family!
Pear Salad is Low Cost!
Not only is this easy to make and super delicious, but it’s also cheap! It’s about $1 for a can of pears, probably .50 cents worth of mayo for the whole can of pears, and maybe .75 worth of cheese! Can’t get much cheaper for a quick and easy side dish!
I highly suggest you take this pear salad to your next potluck or get together. Even if you don’t live in the south, this will be a HUGE conversation starter and it will be interesting who actually tries it! Make sure you tell them, ‘don’t knock it until you try it!‘
When to serve pear salad:
- Having a holiday party?! No party is complete without other appetizers. Try serving it alongside some Cranberry Baked Brie.
- Pear salad is perfect for any potluck! Whip it up, throw it in a storage container, and then pop it in the fridge until party time. It’s even good if you make it the night before!
- Couples game night?! Serve it while playing your favorite games such as Cards Against Humanity or Catchphrase!
- Sunday dinner! Pass this salad around with dinner and everyone will be blown away!
Looking for more potluck recipes? Checkout these popular options from Domestic Superhero:
- BEST Summer Potluck Recipes
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Carrot Cake Trifle (shortcut and homemade recipes)
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings (super crispy)
- Oreo Fudge (3 Ingredients)
- Boozy Pina Colada Bites (alcoholic)
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
For NEW RECIPES delivered straight to your inbox, signup for our email list!
Pear Salad is a classic southern comfort food! Don’t knock it until you try it; with only four ingredients so you can whip it up in no time!
- 2 cans pear halves, drained
- 1/2-3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- maraschino cherries, optional
Place drained pear halved center side up on a serving dish. Add about 1 TBS mayo to the center of each pear half. Then sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Top with maraschino cherries if desired!
Serve and enjoy!
- When not eating, keep refrigerated.
- Can be made night before and stored covered in the refrigerator.
Originally Published 12/2017