Today I have a recipe for you that is not only super tasty, but SUPER healthy! Personally, we have been trying to eat healthier now that it’s a new year, and this is a great recipe to keep you full, but not load a bunch of calories onto your hips. It’s incredibly quick to make, and totally yummy. These Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are seriously delicious and the perfect weeknight meal!
When I make these, I take the easy way – microwaving the potatoes. It’s quick, it’s easy, and I am done in 10 minutes. However, if you have more time on your hands, or say you spend an hour in the beginning of the week cooking a bunch of potatoes, then by all means use your oven. Bake these bad boys for about 50 minutes, on 350 degrees, and they should be pretty tender. Like I mentioned, though, I used my microwave: High power, 8-10 minutes, and BOOM, done. Make sure you poke holes in the potatoes before you cook them!
While the potatoes are cooking, you can whip up your filling – it’s super quick and easy. You only need a handful of ingredients: onions, black beans, corn, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, lime, and cilantro. Cook everything up in your skillet and BOOM, done. You’re going to scoop out a bit of the potato filling (save that stuff for later, yum!), and then load it up with your southwestern filling! Add a dollop of Greek yogurt (extra protein), a sprinkle of cheese, and garnish with cilantro. Like I said, so easy, so good. The best part about these, they only have about 230 calories for the WHOLE (2 halves) potato (interested in all the nutritional info, scroll all the way to the bottom)! I don’t know about you, but I feel like you can’t really beat that! I feel like you can eat this as a side to your main dish, or you can eat it as the main dish; it’s totally versatile!
I whipped up a quick video for y’all so you can see just how easy it is to make these Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
- 4 sweet potatoes, about 5 inches long
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cups black beans
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 TBS chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 TBS mexican blend shredded cheese (I used 2%)
- 4 TBS Greek yogurt, for garnish if desired
- 1. Clean all potatoes, and poke holes throughout with a fork. Place potatoes in microwave safe dish, and cook on HIGH for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Remove and set aside.
- 2. While the potatoes are cooking, add oil to a skillet, and add onion; saute for 3-4 minutes. Add cumin and chili pepper; stir. Add beans, corn, and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Add lime and cilantro; stir and cook for 1 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- 3. Working one potato at a time, cut potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out a bit of the filling (save to eat later!), making a little opening for the filling. Add about 1/4 cup of filling into each potato. Add 1/2 TBS cheese on top of each, then 1/2 TBS Greek yogurt, and additional cilantro if desired. Repeat for all potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes can also be baked: poke holes and bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes.
Things you might need to make this recipe (aff. links):
If you like healthy recipes as much as I do, then check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
Nutritional information for Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Thanks for visiting!