In an effort to spend more time as a family eating, we decided to throw together an Easy Cheesy Veggie Pasta Bake for dinner. Taking less than 20 minutes from start to finish, it is a super quick and easy family friendly meal. Who doesn’t love pasta, anyway?!
First, I boiled some water and added the noodles. While those started to cook I diced up some zucchini and mushrooms. When the pasta was about 2 minutes from being cooked, I tossed those veggies right into the water with the pasta, and let cook for the remaining 2 minutes.
Next, I drained the pasta/veggies, and then added them back to the empty pot. Then I added the Barilla pasta sauce (we love the tomato basil kind), a handful of mozzarella cheese, and mixed it up well.
Next I preheated my broiler on high, and dumped the pasta into an oven safe casserole dish. Topped with some more mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, then added a couple dashes of Italian spices on top of the cheese. I carefully put the casserole dish into the oven/broiler, and let broil for about 3 minutes (time will vary based on oven, just watch it) until the top was bubbling and starting to brown-yum!
I also toasted up some garlic bread on the side! Totally delicious! See below for a full printable recipe!
- I pound box Barilla pasta (your choice, I like spirals or bow ties for this recipe!)
- 1 medium zucchini , chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms , diced (other variety would be fine too)
- 1 jar Barilla pasta sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded and divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- dried oregano , thyme, and basil leaves
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. When there is 2 minutes left before the pasta is done, add zucchini and mushrooms into pot. Cook remaining 2 minutes. Strain.
2. Preheat broiler on high.
3. Add Barillia Pasta sauce to pot, then add the strained pasta/veggies into the sauce. Mix well. Add 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese into pot. Mix well.
4. Grease a large casserole dish with cooking spray, and then dump pasta mixture into baking dish. Top with remaining 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle a dash of dried spices (oregano, thyme, and basil), over top the cheese.
5. Please in broiler and cook for 3-5 minutes. Watch closely as it can burn quickly and cook time depends on oven. When it is bubbly and browning, take it out.
Serve and enjoy!
Things you might need for this recipe (aff links):
Like pasta as much as I do? Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
Thanks for visiting!