You know, I find so many recipes online that look so delicious…but then I realize they have chicken, or beef, or pork in them, and it’s always a bummer. Normally, someone would probably just dismiss those recipes, but I don’t. I know that most meaty recipes can be turned into an even more delicious vegetarian recipe. Most of the recipes that switch over to vegetarian style, don’t even end up feeling like they are missing anything; enter One Pan Pepper, Lime, & Ranch Rice Bowls. They are filled with delicious red, yellow, and orange peppers, onions, fresh lime juice, cilantro, green onions, and RANCH. Who doesn’t love a good ranch dish?
I adore this dish for the amazing flavor, and also the ease of cooking. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, which is a total win in my busy weeknight book. I can come home from work, and toss this in the skillet, then boom, dinner is done. Major win. You can even speed this dish up by using precooked rice. My friend gave me the advice of cooking a bunch of rice early in the week, and then using it throughout the week…total genius. If you have cooked rice already made, then, all you have to do is sauté the veggies, add the rice and the rest of the stuff and BOOM, done. I mean, that puts this dish at like 10 minutes…which is crazy fast. To me, that would still be a ‘one pan’ meal, but to some people, it wouldn’t, because you have to use a different pot to cook the rice earlier in the week. Pick your battles, because I assure you, this is not something worth fighting over!
I also suggest finding some sort of peppered ranch…because it really makes a difference in my opinion. I am not usually a fan of bottled ranch, but I found a Fire Roasted Poblano Ranch at Kroger, and man, it’s delicious. So look around your dressing aisle and see what you can find. If you can’t find one, no big deal, just use regular.
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 orange pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup poblano ranch (or whatever type you have)
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1. Using a high sided skillet or pot, add oil and garlic and saute over medium heat for 1 minute. Add peppers, onions, cumin, and chili powder and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add rice, water, and lime juice, stir to wet rice. Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice and placing the cover back on.
- 2. Remove cover, stir to break up rice. Add salsa, stir to mix into rice mixture. Add cheese and cilantro, stir until cheese is melted. Add ranch, stir to combine. Top with green onions as garnish and serve immediately.
- Recipe adapted from http://diethood.com/ranch-chicken-fajita-bowls/
Things you may need for this recipe (contains Amazon affiliate links)
Like one pan/pot meals as much as I do? Check out these other great ones on Domestic Superhero
Thanks for visiting!