This delicious One Skillet General Tso's Shrimp takes 10 minutes to cook and with under 300 calories, it's the perfect healthy meal!
General Tso's is one of the most popular Chinese food menu items, so I know most people love it! Making General Tso's Shrimp at home allows you to know exactly what is put into your meal and saves you money on take-out. Not only that, but you also save time since it only takes 10 minutes to make from start to finish. This One Skillet General Tso' Shrimp will be a dinner staple!
Serve this saucy shrimp dish my some of my other Chinese food favorites like Air Fryer Crab Rangoon, One Skillet Beef & Broccoli, or Quinoa Fried Rice!
Being that this General Tso's Shrimp only takes 10 minutes to make, it's a very easy shrimp recipe!
How to make General Tso's Shrimp:
- Combine all your ingredients for the sauce, set aside.
- Saute ginger and garlic in a large skillet (I like this one!), then add the shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp for a minute or two, then add the sauce to the pan. Crank up that heat and let the sauce thicken up. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Eat up!
I love that you can keep General Tso's Shrimp a very healthy meal! With 300 calories per serving, this is definitely a dish you can feel good about feeding your family. There are many options on how to serve it to keep it healthy!
Can I add vegetables in with the shrimp while cooking?
Yes! You can easily add vegetables such as chopped bell peppers, small broccoli or cauliflower florets, chopped onions, baby corn, or water chestnuts into the skillet and cook with the shrimp.
Servings suggestions for General Tso's Shrimp:
- Serve General Tso's Shrimp over a bed of quinoa for a punch of protein. Quinoa has 8 grams of protein per cup! Go a step further and make Quinoa Fried 'Rice' on the side!
- Want a more traditional Chinese side to serve with dinner? Whip up a pot of white or brown rice and serve the shrimp over the top.
- Don't want to add a grain? Steam or saute broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and bell peppers and serve along the side with some sauce over the top.
More meals like General Tso's Shrimp:
- General Tso's Tofu will have you forgetting about the meat and devouring dinner! This is the BEST vegetarian version of the famous General Tso’s dish.
- Instant Pot Honey Sesame Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a delicious healthy meal that cooks in just 10 minutes! Simple to make, family friendly, and so tasty!
- One Skillet Beef & Broccoli is a delicious healthy take on the classic popular take-out dish. The best part? It only takes 20 minutes to cook up!
- 10 Minute Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry is a super quick, delicious, and healthy family meal!
More takeout inspired recipes HERE!
One Skillet General Tso's Shrimp takes only 10 minutes to cook and is majorly delicious! With under 300 calories per serving, it's the perfect healthy meal!
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 TBS hoisin sauce
- 3 TBS rice vinegar
- 3 TBS ketchup
- 2 TBS lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger, minced
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 2 lbs peeled, tail off, devained large shrimp (about 40-50 shrimp)
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
In a small bowl add water, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, hoisin, rice vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and cornstarch; whisk to combine.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
Whisk sauce again, then pour into skillet. Turn heat to high, and stir through the shrimp. Allow sauce to come to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook 2-3 more minutes until sauce is thickened and shrimp are cooked through.
Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve immediately.
If I could give this more than 5 stars, I would. It is soooo good! This is one of my favorite meals to order when we get takeout, and this one really stands up to what I get from the restaurants.
SO happy to hear that! Love recreating take out at home!
Erin | Dinners, Dishes and Dessert
This is incredibly delicious! Making it again soon!
katerina @ diethood.com
This sounds like the perfect weeknight meal!! Love it!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes
This sounds incredibly delicious! The perfect meal!
I love quick and easy meals like this! So perfect for weeknights!
This shrimp is so rich and flavorful! A must make recipe!