Long ago, I used to love ordering Bang Bang shrimp at Asian restaurants. When I lived in Greenwich, CT, there was this one place we always used to go to eat, and they had the most amazing Bang Bang shrimp. Really, it’s the sauce that makes this dish, so when I decided to recreate it, I decided to throw it onto tofu. I love tofu. I love how many different ways you can cook it. I love that people say they hate tofu, but then when I make them one of MY tofu recipes, they all of a sudden like it. Tofu, like most other things, is very dependent on how you cook it, and most people just don’t know how. So, if you can learn to cook tofu correctly (which is NOT hard), I promise you that you will like it and even eat it regularly. Once you learn how to cook the tofu, then you can make this amazing sauce and have your own Copycat Bang Bang Tofu at home!
The thing I love most about the Bang Bang Tofu sauce, is that it is so spicy, yet not mouth burning. It has just the right amount of spice, and it blends with the tofu and crispy tofu crust perfectly. You can use this sauce in so many recipes, including my popular ones; Bang Bang Chicken, Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos, and Bang Bang Shrimp Egg Rolls!
I ended up serving this Bang Bang Tofu over rice, because I had lots of extra sauce, and then I added more sauce to the rice. It was amazing. Everything is just a vehicle for sauce, right?!
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 3/4 cups white flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- Canola or vegetable oil; about 1/3 inch deep in a large nonstick pot or skillet
- Green onions, chopped
- 1. First you need to drain the tofu: place a clean dish towel on a cutting board, folded in thirds. Place the tofu on top of the towel. Now, fold another clean dish towel into thirds, and place that on top of the tofu. Place something very heavy on top of the dish towel/tofu (I use a cast iron skillet), and let 'drain' for at least 20 minutes. The longer, the better.
- 2. Cut the tofu into bite size pieces and set aside.
- 3. Pour oil into a large stock pot (with tall sides)- it should be about 1/3-1/2 inch deep. Turn heat on medium/low.
- 4. Place the egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly add the ice water and using a whisk, blend well. Add the flour and quickly stir to mix- it should still have clumps.** Turn heat up to medium/high under the pot.
- 5. Dip each tofu cube into the batter, and drop into very hot oil. Fry for about 2 minutes, flip and fry the other side; about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and place on paper towels to let some of the grease drain. Continue until tofu is all cooked. Do not overcrowd tofu while cooking.
- 6. In a bowl mix mayonnaise, Sriracha, rice vinegar, and sugar. Toss the mixture with the tofu; coat evenly. Scatter green onions over the top.
- Serve with extra sauce for dipping, over rice or quinoa, and enjoy!
- **Make this batter as soon as you are ready to start cooking - you don't want it sitting around.
Like tofu as much as I do? Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!