Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos is an easy and delicious recipe! With the signature sauce, and crunchy toppings, they are the best tacos!
Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos are a staple in my house because they are so easy to make. We also love Copycat Bang Bang Tofu for meatless Monday, and it’s one of my most popular tofu recipes. Feel like chicken? Try out Bang Bang Chicken (Instant Pot recipe)! You have a couple different options while making them (grilled shrimped or fried – up to you!), and you can opt to make them healthier than the restaurant version. Make some extra shrimp for some Bang Bang Shrimp Quesadillas!
Making copycat recipes at home allows you to know exactly what is going into your food, and you’re able to eave out some of the more questionable ingredients (goodbye msg and through the roof sodium). I did fry the shrimp for this recipe to keep the like-ness of the restaurant version, but I love them grilled as well. Pair these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Ginger Spinach or Spicy Green Beans (PF Chang copycat) and dinner is served!
How to make Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos:
These tacos come together quickly and easily in only a few steps.
- Make your sauce first and let that hangout while you cook everything else.
- Coat the shrimp in cornstarch, this will give it a nice crispy shell. Fry the shrimp.
- Assemble the bang bang shrimp tacos. I like using shredded cabbage, tomatoes, and green onions on top. Add a liberal (or modest if you don’t like it too spicy) amount of bang bang sauce to the top!
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
- Bang Bang sauce is Bonefish Grills signature sauce for their popular shrimp dish, Bang Bang Shrimp. It’s sweet and spicy all lat the same time, and while it punches you with some heat, it doesn’t overwhelm your senses. It’s the perfect blend!
- With only a few ingredients it’s easy to make at home.
- Bang Bang sauce is yummy on almost everything. Double or triple the recipe and use it on other dishes throughout the week. The sauce should stay good at least a week in the refrigerator.
How to make Bang Bang Sauce:
- Take mayonnaise, Sriracha, rice vinegar, and sugar, and whisk all of them together in a jar or bowl.
- Close the jar and let the sauce meld in the fridge while everything else is cooking.
How to make Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos healthier:
- Grill the shrimp instead of frying. Leave the coating off the shrimp and grill or sauté them for a healthier alternative.
- Lighten up the bang bang sauce by substituting half the mayonnaise for fat free greek yogurt. I have done this several times and barely notice a difference. The sauce is still majorly delicious, yet this will reduce the calories, saturated fat, and increase the protein content.
- Use low carb flour tortillas instead of corn. I like corn tortillas as they are more authentic for tacos, but some people are partial to flour. If you are trying to save carbs/calories, you can look for a low carb flour tortilla. Either work well for Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos.
RECIPE BONUS: Cook up some extra shrimp while you make these tacos and then you can easily whip up these AMAZING BANG BANG SHRIMP EGG ROLLS!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
For NEW RECIPES delivered straight to your inbox, signup for our email list!
Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos is an easy and delicious recipe that can be made at home. With the signature spicy sauce, and crunchy taco toppings, these will be your favorite Shrimp Tacos ever!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 TBS Sriracha
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2-3 TBS cornstarch
- 1 lb medium/large pre-cooked shrimp, shells and tails removed, devained (can buy already like this), defrosted
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cabbage blend (I like green and purple/red)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
Add all ingredients to a jar or bowl, whisk until completely combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat until the temperature reaches 375 degrees (it should NOT be smoking).
Make sure the shrimp are dry (pat dry with paper towels if needed). Coat with cornstarch. Add shrimp carefully to the oil, fry 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. You may need to flip or stir the shrimp if they aren’t fully submerged in the oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel lined plate.
Add a bit of sauce to the shrimp and toss lightly to coat.
Warm corn tortilla shells (I like to let my burn a little on my gas stove). Place a bit of cabbage down on the bottom of the shell, then add shrimp, a little more cabbage, tomatoes, and green onion. Top with bang bang sauce. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition per 2 taco serving**: 434 calories, 22g fat, 43g carbs, 17g protein
**Calories were calculated using a basic ‘fried shrimp’ ingredient. Nutrition will vary depending on oil/cooking time/etc.
- Nutrition for GRILLED Shrimp: 299 calories, 13g fat, 30g carbs, 14g protein