Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp are a healthier alternative to the typically fried dish! Simple and super delicious, they’re the perfect meal!
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp is a healthier take on the popular fried bang bang shrimp recipe! Bang Bang Sauce is such a delicious sauce; sweet and then a punch of spice, it’s perfect on pretty much everything! If you haven’t made my Bang Bang Chicken (in the instant pot), or my Bang Bang Shrimp Egg Rolls you need to give them a try!
Do you have an Air Fryer? I am in LOVE with mine because it makes “frying” food healthier! It does a great job crisping food and doesn’t use any of the greasy oil! Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp is much healthier than the fried alternative because you don’t have to deep fry them. The prep is pretty much the same because you still have to coat the shrimp with flour, egg and then the crumb mixture, but then you just pop them in the air fryer.
How to make Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp:
**scroll all the way down for a full ingredient list and printable directions**
It’s very easy, and pretty much uses the same method as frying, but using the air fryer allows the oil to be left out!
- Prepare a pound of large shrimp: make sure they are deveined with tails and shells are removed. They should also be defrosted if frozen (follow package directions ). You can also use fresh shrimp.
- Setup all of the ingredients: it’s easiest to make the air fryer bang bang shrimp in somewhat of an assembly line.
- Add the shrimp to a plastic bag with the flour and toss to coat. Tap off any excess flour before the next step.
- Add a few of the shrimp to the egg wash and toss to coat completely. Add the shrimp to the breadcrumb mixture and press the coating into the shrimp, being sure it sticks. Repeat for all of the shrimp.
- To cook the Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp:
- Place the shrimp into the air fryer, adding only as many as will fit in a single layer. Give a quick spray of olive oil over the tops of the shrimp, then close the air fryer. Set the temperature at 400 degrees and the timer to 5 minutes. When the time is up, carefully flip the shrimp over, spray with olive oil, then close and set again to 400 degrees and set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Remove when the time is up, then repeat until the rest of the shrimp are cooked.
How to make Bang Bang Sauce (lightened up):
Bang bang sauce is a sweet and spicy sauce that tastes great on EVERYTHING! The traditional version is made with full fat mayonnaise, but for this recipe I’ve lightened the sauce up. Since we are using the air fryer, and by doing so, saving a ton of fat and calories by not deep frying, I figured it would be nice to have a healthier sauce as well. The difference is Greek yogurt is used instead of using all mayonnaise! To make: Add all of the sauce ingredients into a bowl or jar (scroll down for amounts), then mix until completely combined. Place in the fridge until ready to use!
How and when to serve Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp:
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp makes a perfect party appetizer! Serve it on a tray (add the sauce right before serving), with small forks or toothpicks on the side! Top with green onions or cilantro!
- Bang Bang Shrimp also makes a great meal! Serve it over rice or cauliflower rice as a lower carb option and dig in! Top the shrimp with the sauce (add extra to the rice- YUM), then garnish with green onions and some cabbage slaw!
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp would be GREAT in Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos! You can find my popular version of the recipe here, just substitute the deep-fried shrimp with the air fryer bang bang shrimp!
- Add Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp into a quesadilla for lunch or the another great party appetizer option!
What type of Air Fryer should I use?
There are many Air Fryers to choose from, but I love my PowerXL Vortex Air fryer! Here are some other great options:
- OMORC Air Fryer 6QT -1600W Powerful Electric Hot Oven 10 Preset Menus Dual Control System 6-in-1 Function
- COSORI Air Fryer 5.8QT – Large Hot Electric Oven Oilless Cooker with 8 Quick Setting Recommendation
- GoWISE USA 7 QT Air Fryer -with Dehydrator & 3 Stackable Racks, Led Digital Touchscreen
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
For NEW RECIPES delivered straight to your inbox, signup for our email list!
Like appetizers as much as I do?!?! Checkout these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Bread takes all the effort out of making individual sloppy joes! It’s easy, delicious, and a meal your whole family will enjoy!
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks will leave everyone’s mouthwatering. Made on fresh dough and loaded with cheese, this is a winner!
- Baked avocado fries are creamy, crunchy, and healthy without any oily mess! They’re the perfect health conscious snack, with only a handful of ingredients!
- Instant Pot Garlic Hummus has only a handful of ingredients; Save money and know exactly what’s in your food with this recipe!
- Jalapeño Popper Cheese Bread is the perfect blend of spice and creaminess. This appetizer will not last long at your next party!
- Stuffed Tuna Melt Bread takes the classic sandwich to a new level. Creamy tuna topped with tomatoes and cheese makes for the perfect lunch or party snack!
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp are topped with a healthier version of the classic delicious sweet and spicy Bang Bang Sauce. They’re the perfect lightened up appetizer or meal!
- 1- pound large cooked shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed, defrosted
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 TBS water
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, (plain, 2% or nonfat)
- 2 TBS light mayonnaise
- 2 TBS sriracha
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- chopped green onions or chopped cilantro, optional
Setup all of the ingredients; it’s easiest to make the air fryer bang bang shrimp in somewhat of an assembly line.
￼Place flour into a large Ziploc bag. Place eggs and water into a small bowl and beat together. Place cornstarch, panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a shallow container and mix well.
Add the shrimp to the plastic bag with the flour and toss to coat. Tap off any excess flour off before the next step.
Add a few shrimp to the egg wash, and toss to coat completely.
Add the shrimp to the breadcrumb mixture, toss and press the coating into the shrimp, being sure it sticks. Repeat for all of the shrimp.
￼Wash hands with Lava® Soap to remove all of the grime from your hands!
Place the shrimp into the air fryer, adding only as many as will fit in a single layer. Give a quick spray of olive oil over the tops of the shrimp, then close the air fryer.
Set the temperature at 400 degrees and the timer to 5 minutes. When the time is up, carefully flip the shrimp over, spray with olive oil, then close and set again to 400 degrees and set the timer for 3 minutes.
Remove when the time is up, then repeat until the rest of the shrimp are cooked.
In a small bowl, add Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, sugar, sriracha, and rice vinegar. Whisk to combine; place in fridge until ready to serve.
Place cooked bang bang shrimp on a tray, then top with bang bang sauce right before serving. Add chopped green onion or chopped cilantro over the top of the bang bang shrimp and enjoy!
Nutritional information (calculated from listed ingredients) based off 6 servings: 226 calories, 4 grams of fat, 27 grams carbohydrates, 20 grams protein, 1 gram fiber, 6 grams sugar. Weight Watchers: 6 points per serving