Before I became a vegetarian I pretty much at buffalo chicken all the time. It comes in so many different forms, and I was a sucker for all of them. Being my go-to meal when we were out to eat at a casual restaurant, it was hard to find a good replacement once I gave up meat. However after a few months with no buffalo chicken, I realized it wasn’t the chicken I was missing, it was the sauce! Buffalo sauce can be drenched on anything, and it takes on the great buffalo taste. Another downfall of buffalo chicken sandwiches is that they aren’t really healthy. Most restaurants mix a ton of butter with hot sauce, and that’s how they make their delicious buffalo sauce. So, when I saw this recipe on Skinny Taste, I knew my boss would love it. She loves buffalo chicken, much like I did, but she also likes to eat healthy. This recipe picks up all of the essential buffalo chicken flavors, and leaves out all the fat.
There aren’t many ingredients in this recipe, and it is cooked in the slow cooker, so it can be tossed in there in the morning, and then ready by the time you get home from work. Although lettuce wraps are the low calorie choice for this chicken, you could also use wraps (there are many great low calorie/low fat brands), sub rolls, a pita, or just use the chicken in a salad. Easy!
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I used Frank's)
- 6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 1. In a slow cooker, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, and broth (enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn't enough). Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
- 2. Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest.
- 3. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes.
- --Makes 3 cups chicken.
- 4. To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and dressing of your choice. Wrap up and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup chicken + veggies (serves 6)
- Calories: 147.7
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carb: 5.2 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 24.9 g • Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 879 mg
Thanks for visiting!