Earlier this week we celebrated my baby boy’s 3rd birthday (where did the time go?!), and even though we weren’t having a big party, I wanted to still make his actual day special. We had celebrated with family over Thanksgiving weekend, because it was more convenient than celebrating on a random Tuesday night, but these birthdays only come around once a year, and I wanted Austin to live it up! Since he loves M&M’s, baking cookies, and ice cream, I wanted to put them all together for a fun treat.
We started by baking the M&M cookies and then letting them completely cool. Next up was turning them into ice cream sandwiches. For my toddler I used regular vanilla bean ice cream and scooped about 1/3 of a cup onto one cookies, and then topped with the other cookie.
Since my husband and I wanted to indulge in the cookies, but not all the calories of the ice cream, we made ours with frozen vanilla Greek yogurt! I love using Greek yogurt in place of various creamy things because it adds a lot of nutritional value, and I can hardly ever tell a difference. I popped the little container of Vanilla Greek yogurt into the freezer for about 30 minutes, then spooned onto the cookie, and topped with the other cookie.
Both cookies turned out to be a HUGE hit with everyone! I made about 8 more to have on hand and stored them wrapped tight in the freezer! Now, we have M&M Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches available all the time! Total score! Not only did my son devour the sandwich, but then he sneakily ate about 10 M&M’s and an extra cookie!!!! I couldn’t really get upset though…they are totally delicious!
- One 12-ounce package of plain M&Ms
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- Container of vanilla ice cream (size is dependent on how many sandwiches you would like to make)
- Container of vanilla greek yogurt, partially frozen* (size is dependent on how many sandwiches you would like to make)
- 1. In a bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- 2. In a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), cream together butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). With the mixer on low, add in egg and vanilla. Return mixer to medium and mix until incorporated. Scrape sides if needed.
- 3. With the mixer on low, add dry ingredients gradually until dough forms. Fold in M&Ms by hand. 4. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mat and set aside.
- 4. Form balls from approximately 1 tablespoon of dough. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are just barely golden. Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes on baking sheet before removing and placing on wire rack to finish cool.
- 5. Scoop about 1/3 cup of ice cream or yogurt onto cookie bottom side up, and then top with 2nd cookie (bottom side to ice cream). Repeat for desired number of cookies.
- 6. Eat and enjoy, or wrap tightly with foil or plastic wrap and store in freezer for later consumption.
- *for a small container of greek yogurt, pop into freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to make it partially frozen. You don't want it so hard that you can't scoop it, but you don't want it so loose that it doesn't hold the weight of the cookies.
Thanks for visiting!