Mediterranean Pinwheels are an easy vegetarian appetizer! Stuffed with 3 cheeses, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil, they are a HUGE crowd pleaser!
Coming up with delicious new appetizers is always challenging, but this recipe for Mediterranean Pinwheels is easy, has amazing flavors, and takes only minutes to whip up. Everyone will love this fresh new vegetarian appetizer idea!
As I said, these only take a few minutes to whip up, and they also only have a handful of ingredients. You can switch up some of the ingredients to make them vegan as well, or lower carb by using lower carb tortillas.
How to make Mediterranean Pinwheels:
**scroll all the way down for full printable directions and ingredient list**
- Get all the ingredients together so you can setup an assembly line.
- First make the cream cheese mixture: Add cream cheese, garlic, some sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil, and some of the oil from the packed sun-dried tomatoes to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend for 30 seconds, scrape down the sides, and blend 10-15 more seconds or until completely combined. Set aside.
- Set out 6 tortillas (I like flavored tortillas like spinach or sun-dried tomato for this recipe, but you can also use plain flour or LOW CARB).
- Make the Mediterranean Pinwheels by layering: cream cheese, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, feta cheese, and fresh basil. Starting from an outer edge roll tightly while gently squeezing to keep together. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Using a serrated knife, slice in 1 inch or so pieces and lay theMediterranean Pinwheels on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Tips for making this vegetarian appetizer low carb, vegan, and more:
- Make the night before you need the Mediterranean Pinwheels. They keep well overnight and the flavors really meld well this way. Be sure to keep refrigerated until serving.
- Make them LOWER CARB by using a LOW CARB tortilla. This will help reduce the total amount of carbs in the recipe.
- Vegan friendly? Use vegan cream cheese, vegan parmesan cheese, and leave out the feta cheese. Make sure the tortillas are also vegan friendly.
- This recipe makes about 32 Mediterranean Pinwheels, but you can easily make more using the same steps above.
- Left over cream cheese mixture? Use it as a spread for crackers, bagels, or on top of chicken – YUM!
If you like appetizers, you have to see these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
- Crispy Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites are the perfect appetizer! With no oil and only a handful of ingredients, they’re easy and guilt-free.
- Caprese Stuffed Pull Apart Bread is fresh bread stuffed with delicious fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella, then topped with a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze!
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries are creamy and crunchy without any oily mess! With only a handful of ingredients, these are the perfect healthy snack or appetizer!
- Instant Pot Garlic Hummus Recipe only has a handful of ingredients; Save money and know exactly what’s in your food with this recipe !
- Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus has only 2 ingredients and takes a fraction of the typical time, this will be your favorite way to cook asparagus!
- Caprese Sliders with Baked Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil Leaves & Pesto are the perfect party food! Fresh and super delicious!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Domestic Superhero on:
Mediterranean Pinwheels are an easy vegetarian appetizer! Stuffed with 3 cheeses, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil, they are a HUGE crowd pleaser! With VEGAN and LOW CARB options as well!
- 6 large tortillas, I like spinach flavor or sun-dried tomato but can use regular (see above notes)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 TBS garlic
- 6 ounces sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped and oil reserved
- 10-12 ounces frozen spinach, cooked, water squeezed out, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
First make the cream cheese mixture: Add cream cheese, 2 TBS garlic, 3-4 sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, 5-6 basil leaves, and 2 TBS oil from the sun-dried tomatoes jar to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend for 30 seconds, scrape down the sides, and blend 10-15 more seconds or until completely combined. Set aside.
Set out 6 tortillas (I like flavored tortillas like spinach or sun-dried tomato for this recipe, but you can also use plain flour or LOW CARB).
Assemble: On each tortilla spread a thick layer of cream cheese, chopped spinach, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tsp parmesan cheese, 1-2 tsp feta cheese. In the center, make a line from end to end of fresh basil leaves.
Starting from an outer edge parallel to the basil, roll tightly while gently squeezing to keep together. Repeat for all tortillas.
Using a serrated knife, cut in about 1 inch pinwheels. Repeat for all tortillas.
Cover and refrigerate until serving. Enjoy!