DIY Hot Chocolate bombs are filled with hot chocolate mix & marshmallows, and they melt open when hot milk is poured over the top to make the best hot chocolate!
DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs or hot cocoa bombs first became popular in 2020 on the popular social media app TikTok. They look super cool and as hot milk is poured over the top, the chocolate melts and the inside is exposed to mix and create hot chocolate! Kids LOVE these! They are actually very easy to make yourself at home, and only take a few ingredients. Keep them for your family or give them as gifts!
You will also need these Ingredients:
- Semi sweet chocolate chips - These make for a wonderfully rich hot cocoa drink. Semi sweet are not too sweet and not too bitter. If you would like to go for a less sweet drink, go for dark chocolate chips and if you would like a sweeter drink, go for milk chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Candy toppers - Amazon and Walmart carries mini, rainbow baking chips however if they are not available to you, you can remove the little chips off of the cosmic brownies.
- Hot Chocolate mix powder - Use your favorite brand of hot cocoa, whether it be in packets or in a container.
- Cosmic Brownies (optional) - Pieces of cosmic brownie in the cocoa bomb are an added delight in this hot drink making it extra flavorful and unique. This is optional and you can use Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies or homemade cosmic brownies
- Mini marshmallows - Because every hot cocoa deserves mini marshmallows!
Now, let's get cooking!
How to make DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- Get all the ingredients together and melt the chocolate in the microwave safe bowl.
- Add the chocolate to each pocket in the half sphere silicone mold.
- Spread the chocolate in an even layer to coat the mold, but make sure the later is not TOO thin.
- Place the mold into the fridge or freezer for 10 minutes or until set.
- Once the chocolate is set in the mold remove from the freezer and set half of the spheres aside, and the other half we will use as the tops.
- Add remaining chocolate to the piping bag and squeeze to drizzle over the tops.
- Sprinkle the Chocolate Candy toppers over the tops.
- Repeat for all top halves.
- Now using the bottom halves, add the hot chocolate powder to each one.
- Add bite sized piece of Cosmic Brownies (optional).
- Add Mini marshmallows
Next seal the Hot Chocolate Bombs top and bottom together:
- Warm a small, microwave safe plate in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.
- Place decorated, empty half sphere on the plate for a couple seconds until it begins to melt the edges.
- This creates an even edge and a sort of glue.
- Connect with the bottom filled half sphere so that the edges meet. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Repeat with the remaining 5 spheres until they are all completed.
These step by step directions should help you make the perfect bombs! The whole family can help with making them, but you need a steady hand for the melting and putting together the top and bottom halves!
How to Serve DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs:
- Set hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of a mug and pour 6 ounces of hot milk or water over top until the shell has melted in, releasing the hot cocoa powder, cosmic brownie and mini marshmallows.
- Stir with a spoon until emulsified. Add chocolate syrup to mug if desired.
How long with Hot Chocolate Bombs last?
Since these are made with hot chocolate powder, they will stay good for 4-6 months. If you add the cosmic brownie inside, they will keep for 2 weeks. Keep in an air tight sealed container at room temperature.
What is a Cosmic Brownie? If you are 90's kid, you probably already know, but if not, let me explain... First made famous by Little Debbie and are chewy brownies covered in delicious fudge icing that feature a sprinkling of rainbow-colored, candy-coated chocolate chips for a surprise crunch! They can be found on Amazon or at your local grocery store. They are a really fun addition to the Hot Chocolate Bomb, but it is totally optional as well.
These hot chocolate bombs also make a great gift! Pack them in a bag with a tag on how to use them!
DIY Hot Chocolate bombs are filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows, and they melt open when hot milk is poured over the top to make the best hot chocolate!
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 TBS multi colored mini chocolate chips
- 6 TBS hot chocolate mix
- 1 cosmic brownie cut into 6 pieces (Little Debbie or Homemade) - optional
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Half sphere silicone mold
In a small microwave safe bowl, melt 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take 60-90 seconds. Once melted, spoon about 2 TBS into each half sphere and using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate around the whole sphere making sure the edges are well coated so that they are not fragile. Let set in the fridge or freezer until hardened, about 10 minutes. Once set, gently remove from the molds.
Lay 6 half spheres on a plate, face down. In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt remaining ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take 30-60 seconds. Once melted, spoon into a baggie or piping bag. Snip a small corner in the bag. Drizzle 5 halves (tops) with chocolate. Place several mini multi colored chocolate chips on top of the drizzle before it hardens. Repeat with 5 more half spheres. Let set in the fridge or freezer for 3-5 minutes until hardened.
Lay the 6 remaining, plain half spheres face up on a plate. Spoon 1 TBS of hot chocolate mix into each half sphere. Top with one piece of cosmic brownie (optional) and several mini marshmallows.
Warm a small microwave safe plate in the microwave for 45-60 seconds. Lay decorated, empty half sphere on the plate for a couple seconds until it begins to melt the edges. This creates an even edge and a sort of glue. Connect with the corresponding, filled half sphere so that the edges meet. Repeat with the remaining 5 spheres until they are all completed.
To make hot cocoa - set hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of a mug and pour 6 oz of hot milk or water over top until the shell has melted in, releasing the hot cocoa powder, cosmic brownie and mini marshmallows. Stir with a spoon until emulsified.
**Cosmic brownies are optional and can be left out to make regular hot chocolate bombs. Follow directions as is, just omitting the brownies. The cosmic brownie piece is like having cookie dough in ice cream, they go well together and are delicious.