Guys…this is seriously the BEST EVER homemade chunky blue cheese dressing. I know, I know; tons of recipes claim to be the ‘best ever’, but believe me when I say…this is THE BEST EVER. Blue cheese is just one of those things, you either like it or you hate it. I happen to LOVE it, and will pretty much put it on whatever I can. There have been many times in my adulthood when I have thought that really, whatever I am eating, is just a vessel for the sauce or dip. This is why blue cheese makes the perfect veggie dip…because all you can taste is the blue cheese. If you are a fan of the cool, creamy, tangy, chunky blue cheese, then you HAVE to try this. Seriously..make this right now.
With the exception of the actual blue cheese, you most likely have everything for this recipe in your pantry or fridge, which is another reason I love it so much. When I was making it, I really wanted to use buttermilk, but guess what? I didn’t have any. So what to do? Just make buttermilk yourself – all it takes is some milk and vinegar – easy peasy. This homemade chunky blue cheese dressing would also be fabulous on your favorite salad, or wings, or a buffalo chicken sandwich, or in a straw…however you eat it, it will be fantastic – I promise.
I do have a few tips for you though – one, make this and let it sit in the fridge AT LEAST four hours. Please, please, please. If you don’t follow this very important tip, this may just turn out not to be the best ever, and I can’t have that. It must be the best ever, so you have to let this bad boy meld it’s flavors in the fridge at least four hours. The second tip, use real blue cheese and crumble it yourself. You can by chunks of this stuff in the produce/deli/cheese section of your grocery store. If you absolutely can’t find it because you live in the middle of nowhere, then fine, use pre-crumbled blue cheese…it might not be as good, but it will still be delicious.
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- dash of salt
- 1. In a medium bowl mix milk and 1 tsp white vinegar; let sit for 5 minutes, stir. Add crumbled blue cheese to mixture, and mash with a fork until they are well combined.
- 2. Add sour cream, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt; mix with fork to combine well.
- 3. Pour into mason jar or other container and seal tightly. Let set in fridge for at least 4 hours. Remove, stir, and serve on your favorite foods!
- If you have buttermilk, you can use 1/3 cup in place of the milk and 1 tsp white vinegar.
- Will last in the fridge for up to 30 days in a sealed container.
- Makes just under 2 cups.
Like sauces and dips as much as I do? Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
Thanks for visiting!