Mmmmmm flatbreads…aka Naan (in my house at least). Naan is so easy to make or buy (ha!). It is way cheaper to make it at home, and I have a great recipe! However, I find myself just lacking time lately, so picking up a couple Naan at the store is no big deal. They are equally as delicious, but do cost a little more. I love the Naan at Costco, which are like 10 breads for $4 or something crazy. You can also get hem at regular grocery stores, usually in the bakery sections – sometimes my store has 2 packs on sale for $2 each, or 2 pack for $4. Haven’t tried Naan? Well, you’re seriously missing out. Stop reading and go buy them right now! Anyway, I came up with this recipe because I had some leftover Creamy Chipotle Bean Dip, and I knew it would be perfect smeared on the Naan and topped with some delicious ingredients. I tossed on some tomatoes, black beans (double beans double protein and fiber-woot!), corn, green onions, pepper jack cheese, and finished with fresh lime Greek yogurt. This recipe turned out AMAZING. Seriously, I ate one whole Southwestern Flatbread and was so full, yet I was wishing there were more to shove into my face. My husband was asking if there were any seconds as well. So good.
These come together in like 5 minutes flat, and then after 5-10 minutes in the oven you are done. DONE! They are crazy easy and quick to make, and they taste amazing. Don’t like something in the ingredient list? Leave it out! Or replace it with something else! I think these would be amazing with cilantro on top too, or some red onion…yummmmm.
I ended up using canned diced tomatoes on ours, I was wishing we had fresh tomatoes, but I didn’t want to run to the store. However, using canned tomatoes really didn’t take anything away from the recipe. They tasted great. Just make sure you strain them well because you don’t want the juice making the bread soggy. Oh, you could also add jalapenos or other peppers to the top; the options are endless!
- 2 Naan breads
- 1 -15 ounce can refried beans, nonfat vegetarian
- 4 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2/3 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced and juice set aside
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a food processor, add refried beans, chipotle chilis, and cream cheese. Process for 30 seconds, scrape down sides, and process 15 more seconds or until well combined. Set aside.**
- 2. In a small bowl, heat black beans for 30 seconds in the microwave. Set aside.
- 3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil; place naan on top. Using the back of a spoon, sspread 1/3 cup bean mixture over each naan. On each naan sprinkle: 1/3 cup of black beans on top, followed by tomatoes, corn, pepper jack cheese, and green onions.
- 4. Place in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and ingredients are cooked through. Remove from oven.
- 5. In a small bowl mix greek yogurt and lime juice. Drizzle over flatbreads to taste.
- **You will have bean spread leftover, use it for chips or dipping later - so tasty!
- You can easily double this recipe, for 4 flatbreads.
- This recipe also keeps well. I made it in the early afternoon and then popped back in the oven for a few minutes at dinner time. Perfect!
Need the recipe for the Naan bread/flatbread? Check it out here:
Don’t forget about the Creamy Chipotle Bean Dip to go along with these bad boys…
Like flatbreads? Try out my other recipes…
Thanks for visiting!