Instant Pot Salsa Rice is the perfect meal or side dish to your favorite Mexican inspired dinner! Only 4 minutes in the Instant Pot and this rice is ready to eat!
I am obsessed with my instant pot; You can make everything in it and in barely any time. Anyway, this Instant Pot Salsa Rice is a super flavorful dish that is so easy to make. It makes the perfect side dish to Instant Pot Enchilada Soup, Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp or Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos, or for fajitas, burritos, or whatever you want! It takes only 4 minutes to make (after the pot comes to pressure), and it's salsa rice perfection!
If you don't have an instant pot yet you need to buy one. I recommend at least a 6 quart version, but if you have a bigger family, the 8 quart would be nice. I'll admit that I am NOT a 'gadget' type of person, so I held off a long time on purchasing my instant pot, but once I finally caved, I realized I had SERIOUSLY been missing out!
How to make Salsa Rice in the Instant Pot:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- Take all the ingredients, dump them into the instant pot, then set your timer for 4 minutes on manual.
- It will take some time for the IP to 'come to pressure' and start cooking. Be patient.
- Let the pressure release naturally (don't flip the valve) for about 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure (by flipping the valve). Be careful because steam will come out of the top of the IP.
- Stir the rice, then serve.
- Top with your favorite fixin's! I like cilantro, lime, cheese, and avocado - YUM!
How to complete the meal:
- If you are a fan of chicken, you can actually turn this into Salsa Chicken and Rice. Add chicken breasts to your instant pot with everything else. Set the timer for 7 minutes (instead of 4), and then follow the rest of the direction. Shred the chicken once it's cooked using two forks, or serve the breasts whole.
- Using a sheet pan, add chopped bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and chicken breasts. Season your chicken breasts with taco seasoning or cumin and chili powder. Bake all together for 20-25 minutes, and then serve with tortillas - easy chicken fajitas! Add the Salsa Rice on the side and enjoy!
- This salsa rice is perfect alongside these delicious Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos!
- Serve alongside Mexican Baked Eggs! Made in one skillet and make a delicious breakfast or dinner! Low calorie and high protein, it’s the perfect healthy meal.
- To keep this a vegetarian meal, add black beans to the salsa rice! Add one can of rinsed and drained black beans to the instant pot and cook with everything else.
- You can serve the salsa rice as burritos (I like grilling the burritos, yum), on tostadas, grilled quesadillas, or all by itself!
Tips for cooking in the Instant Pot:
- You should remember when using the Instant Pot, that the time it takes to cook the recipe (4 mins), is not the total time of the recipe. You need to give the pot some time to ‘come to pressure’.
- For me, it took about 10 minutes to the pot to come to pressure. Once it comes to pressure, the cook time will start to count down (4 more minutes)
- I recommend you use the ‘natural release’ to release the pressure, and allow 10 minutes for this. Release the rest yourself by flipping the valve.
- Carefully remove the lid, always opening it AWAY from you.
Can I make Salsa Rice in a Slow Cooker?
YES! Follow the recipe as written, however add everything to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Stir when it's finished and top with your desired garnishes!
My favorite recipes to accompany this Instant Pot Salsa Rice:
- Instant Pot Enchilada Soup is hearty and delicious, yet low calorie and vegetarian. Most of the ingredients are pantry staples, and it's very inexpensive as well! See options to add meat as well as cook on the stove top or in the slow cooker!
- Instant Pot Carnitas are easy and quick to make in the electric pressure cooker. This pork carnitas recipe makes perfectly seasoned, tender and juicy Mexican pork with crispy bits.
- Vegetarian tacos are loaded with fresh sweet potatoes, jalapeno, pico de gallo, and avocado and then wrapped in a warm charred corn tortilla. These are the best vegetable tacos!
- Mexican Baked Eggs are cooked in one skillet and make a delicious breakfast or dinner! Low calorie and high protein, it’s the perfect healthy meal.
- These Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp are the perfect quick meal! Perfect for healthy eating, and done in less than 10 minutes! Serve these for dinner or on game day!
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are so easy and delicious using the air fryer!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect healthy comfort food. Set it and forget it; this soup is going to become a regular in your dinner rotation!
- Southwestern Stuffed Zucchini Boats are easy, delicious, and majorly healthy! only 127 calories per serving!!!
- Black Bean Zucchini Enchiladas are filled with healthy ingredients and comes together in 30 minutes!
Instant Pot Salsa Rice is the perfect meal or side dish to your favorite Mexican inspired dinner! Filled with fresh vegetables and only 4 minutes in the Instant Pot and this rice is ready to eat!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic poder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon adobe chili powder, if you don't have this, you can use regular chili powder or omit
- ½ fresh jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup salsa, whatever type you prefer
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- colby jack cheese shredded
- avocado slices
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- small flour tortillas
Using at least a 6qt. instant pot, add all ingredients (not garnishes) to pot. Lightly stir to combine.
Place the top on the instant pot and seal the pressure valve. Cook on manual for 4 minutes. Allow natural release (do not flip the valve) for 10 minutes. Release any remaining pressure.
Stir rice mixture, then serve in bowls. Garnish with whatever you desire and enjoy!
- Want to add chicken to this Salsa Rice? Add the chicken breasts to the Instant pot and change the cook time to 7 minutes.
- Nutrition: 247 calories, 1g fat, 54g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 6g protein (does not include any garnishes)
- First published May 2018. Updated April 2021.