The first time I made this soup, I wasn’t sure what to expect, and I wasn’t sure it would be that great. It’s basically made of pureed cauliflower, and to me, this sounds very similar to baby food. However, this soup definitely proved my early judgments to be wrong, and it ended up shining as a great healthy and delicious meal. When cauliflower is pureed, it gives off a really creamy and decadent texture, and you forget that what you are eating is actually really healthy and good for you.
When I made the soup, I made it vegetarian style, but it could be made for meat eaters as well. You can substitute chicken stock for the vegetable stock if you have that on hand, and for a little something extra, you could add chopped bacon as a garnish (I imagine it would give the feeling of baked potato soup).
This soup is great for freezing, and I always make a double batch and freeze half of it. It’s super cheap, low calorie, low carb, and so tasty! It takes about 20-25 minutes to make, and you can serve it as a main dish or a side dish.
I didn’t take any pictures while cooking, because I wasn’t sure about this, like I said earlier. It’s easy though, so don’t worry!
- 2 pounds cauliflower about 1 large head, chopped
- 1/2 onion s, medium, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth reduced sodium
- 1 cup half and half fat free
- 1/2 cup cheese jack or Mexican blend, reduced fat, about 1 ounce, grated
- 2 ounces cooked bacon minced (if desired)
- 2 green onions or more if you like
- pepper black
1. Combine broth, cauliflower and onions in a soup pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
2. Use an immersion blender (or place ingredients in a blender) and puree. Add fat free half & half and blend for about 1 minute or until desired consistency.
3. Pour into bowls and garnish with cheese, bacon (if desired) and green onions. Top with cracked black pepper and salt to taste.
Nutrition: Per Serving (with bacon) About: 150 calories, 3.5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 740 mg sodium; WW Points plus value 4
Thanks for visiting!