Now that fall is nearly here, I am always craving a delicious hearty soup. I love incorporating seasonal produce into my recipes, and when I saw butternut squash at the store, I knew I had to add it. Typically I would make vegetable soup with a few staples, carrots, celery, and onions, but using the butternut squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and fresh thyme, really took this soup to the next level. With the addition of Uncle Ben’s® Long Grain & Wild Rice – Original Recipe, this loaded Vegetable & Wild Rice Soup turned out to be the best fall comfort food yet.
I debated making the soup in the slow cooker, which would have also been really easy. If you want to do that, just throw everything in, except the rice. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 5 hours. Toss the rice into the slow cooker the last hour of cooking (this will prevent it from getting soggy). I decided to make the soup on my stove top with my new cast iron dutch oven (in love!), because I have been really getting into cooking with it lately.
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots sliced in half
- 1 zucchini sliced in half, then into 1/2 moons
- 8 ounces mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded, and chopped into bite sized cubes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth reduced sodium
- 1 cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed and stems discarded
- 1/2 cup Uncle Ben's® Long Grain & Wild Rice Original Recipe
1. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add butter and melt over medium/high heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, and saute for 2 minutes. Add baby carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, butternut squash, salt, and pepper; saute for 2-3 more minutes.
2. Add vegetable broth, water, and thyme leaves, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add rice, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Serve and enjoy!
Thanks for visiting!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #justaddrice #CollectiveBias