Since starting my garden a few months ago, I’ve had several things growing; tomatoes, zucchinis, bell peppers, sweet peppers, and various herbs including basil. For some reason unknown to me, whenever I have grown basil in the past, it has always died. I blame it on the heat down here in Georgia, but I really don’t know if that is the case because I see other people’s plants doing extremely well. So this year I tried to plant it more out of the sun, so it wouldn’t be exposed to the sun all day long, which I thought was maybe too long. I think I was right because this year, my basil plant is growing a lot better! So much better in fact, a bunch of little bugs like eating it up! Ugh! I can never win. Luckily I have been using it up before they can get to all of it though; thank goodness because there is nothing like fresh basil!
I was doing my weekly grocery shopping a few weeks ago, and noticed the feta cheese crumbles were on sale for buy one get one free…naturally, I had to buy them. We LOVE feta cheese at my house, and I often use it to top things like pizza or in salads or veggie quesadillas. I love the bit of tartness it adds to things. Then it dawned on me to make a creamy feta dip with some delicious fresh basil. We were not disappointed and this recipe is a total win! It seriously takes 2 minutes to ‘whip’ up, and it lasts in the fridge for 2 weeks, tightly covered. I guarantee it won’t last that long though. This is a dip that is perfect for bringing to potlucks or parties, serving as an appetizer at a get together, or just eating at home when you are craving some delicious dip! We have had it with lightly toasted baguette slices, pretzel chips, pretzel rods, and fresh cut-up veggie sticks (carrots, celery, cucumber slices…). I even used it the other day on top of baguette slices, and then put a fresh balsamic tomato bruschetta on top…SO good!
- 8 oz of feta crumbles or block of feta
- 8 oz of cream cheese I used nuefatchel- reduced fat, softened
- 1/2 cup tightly packed basil leaves rinsed and dried
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 TBS white wine cooking wine or regular wine, or can be omitted
- salt and pepper to taste
1. If using a block of feta, first place it in the food processor and pulse to crumble. Next add the cream cheese, basil, and garlic and process on high for 1 minute or until creamy and smooth.
2. Add wine, salt and pepper and combine for a few more seconds until nice and smooth.
3. Remove from processor bowl and place in an air-tight container in the fridge. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, but the longer the better (overnight if possible before a party).
Serve with toasted baguette slices, vegetable slices, crackers, pretzels, or whatever you prefer- Enjoy!
When serving the dip, it is best at room temperature so remove from fridge a bit before serving.
Like dips as much as me?! Check out these delicious Dips on Domestic Superhero (click on photo to go to recipe):
Thanks for visiting!