During the fall, I definitely love utilizing my slow cooker. It’s so easy to throw the ingredients in there in the morning, and then have dinner ready when I come home from work. I also LOVE potato soup, and it just feels so comforting and fall-ish to me. It’s especially easy to whip up in the crock pot, and very inexpensive as well.
This Loaded Potato Soup also freezes extremely well, so I usually double the recipe and freeze half so we can have that later. It’s so easy! I made a bunch of this and other soups when I was pregnant, and then froze them so I could have tons of easy meals after the baby came! If you don’t have a slow cooker, you could make this on the stove top, and it would be just as easy, but I love the set it and forget it mentality behind a slow cooker! Using the Set 'n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker With Spoon/Lid is such an easy way to take advantage of this recipe. I love how it’s programmable and I just don’t have to worry about anything.
Since we are vegetarians in my house, I left the bacon out of this loaded soup, but you could easily fry some up and add it into the soup. I think it tastes delicious without it, but I know how some people love their bacon!
Recipe adapted from Peas and Crayons (check her out for other GREAT recipes!)
- 5 medium russet potatoes peeled (optional) and cut into small cubes
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup milk I used 2% but you could also use cream, half and half, or skim
- freshly grated cheddar cheese for topping
- chopped green onion for topping
1. In your slow cooker, add potatoes, celery, onion. Then add the broth, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper.
2. Set your slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hours, or set it to LOW for 8 hours.
3. Once done cooking, add milk, and then use a potato masher, fork, or immersion blender to smooth out the soup.
4. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Add the garlic powder and red pepper flakes and mix.
5. Serve warm and add your desired toppings.
To freeze, add 2 cups of soup to a qt. sized freezer bag, push out air, and then label and freeze. To reheat- defrost overnight in the fridge and then cook in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. I usually add a bit more milk when reheating because it thickens up a lot in the freezer.
Okay, now for the fun part! Hamilton Beach is furnishing a Set 'n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker With Spoon/Lid for one of my readers! That’s right, you could win your own slow cooker! Now, I know most people have a slow cooker, but who doesn’t need the latest and greatest model, right? Enter below on the rafflecopter and I will be picking a winner next week!
To participate in any promotion, you must be 18 years or older and reside in the 50 United States or D.C. Hamilton Beach is unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Giveaway will run from October 29th at 7am- November 7th at 7am. Winner will be contacted via email and must respond within 48 hours to claim prize. All prizes will be furnished and shipped by Hamilton Beach and Domestic Superhero is not responsible for that.
Disclosure: Hamilton Beach has provided Domestic Superhero with a Slow Cooker to review. I have not been compensated for this post and all opinions are honest and my own.
Thanks for visiting!