I was browsing the farmer's market a couple weeks ago and found the most perfect looking asparagus. Lately I have been enjoying asparagus more than usual (even though I love it), and picking it up whenever I can. It really makes a tasty side and there are so many delicious ways to fix it. I decided to make the asparagus the bulk of this meal, add a poached egg (which I am still trying to get better at doing, see basic explanation), toss on some cherry tomatoes, and add a sprinkle of goat cheese. Let me tell you, it was brilliant. Since the eggs were poached nicely, the yolk was super runny and made the perfect 'sauce' for the asparagus. The goat cheese warmed when put on top of the asparagus and had the perfect melty bite with the tomatoes and egg. I ended up cutting up everything and mixing it all together...messy, but perfect in my opinion. My husband wanted a little more, so he had 2 poached eggs. I can see this dish being served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner...really, any meal! Serve it up with some lovely buttered toast or an English muffin. Serve it in a roll as a delicious egg sandwich.
- 4 large eggs or more if you want more than 1 egg per person, poached
- 32 asparagus spears probably 2 bunches, ends trimmed and washed
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 TBS Crumbled Goat Cheese
- Container of Cherry/Grape tomatoes quartered
1. Add 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium/high. Add asparagus, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute for a few minutes until tender (3-4 minutes).
2. Assemble by placing 8 asparagus stalks on a plate. Top with poached egg, ¼ cup tomatoes, and 1 TBS goat cheese. Add additional salt and pepper to egg if desired. Serve warm.
4 servings, 191 calories per serving (1 egg)
Yum yum yum. Looks heavenly!
It was so so good!
Yummy, such a great and simple way to serve asparagus!
Thank you! It was so delicious!
Susan and Wade
These look incredible!!
this is so weird, for some reason wordpress had marked your comment as spam!! ugh!