I don’t know why, but I was at least in my 20’s before I tried an Almond Joy candy bar. For some reason I always thought that I didn’t like them. Maybe I tried them when I was a kid and forgot, but I had this weird negative association with them. Finally one day I decided to try one…and I loved it. I love coconut, almonds, and chocolate so the combo makes sense to me. While they aren’t something I eat often, I do enjoy them once in a while. So, when I had a bag of left over coconut, I started brainstorming what I could do with it. I browsed Pinterest and didn’t find anything that really stood out, but then I thought I could do a play on Almond Joy bars!
These turned out really well! I served them to my friends who were actually skeptical to try them because ‘they don’t like almond joy’…but they loved these! My friend actually told me, “don’t associate these with Almond Joy!” but for me, they taste so similar! I guess everyone has different taste buds! Anyway, it’s an easy recipe and definitely great to bring to a party or snack on at home! The kids loved them too!
- 2 cups of shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds chopped
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 1/2 TBS sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 TBS butter
1. Chop the coconut flakes and add them to a mixing bowl. Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla to the coconut, mix well until all incorporated. (I recommend using your hands here!)
2. Add the toasted, chopped almonds and mix until combined.
3. Form balls with the coconut mixture, pressing them together, hard.
4. Place each bite on parchment paper (waxy side up) and chill for an hour.
5. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave at half power for about a minute, stirring every 15-20 seconds.
6. Drizzle chilled Almond Joy Bites with chocolate.
I recommend keeping them in the fridge, covered, until ready to serve. They taste great and stay together better after being chilled.
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!