One of my all time favorite soups, Chicken Tortilla, was such a staple before I because a vegetarian. Then, I just sort of discounted it as never being the same because hey, no chicken…but, I made a huge mistake. The thing is, most dishes with meat, the meat can be taken out and for the most part, you don’t even miss it-more on this below. This Vegetable Black Bean Tortilla Soup packs all of the amazing flavor of regular Chicken Tortilla soup, but is half the calories and incredibly delicious!
So, like I mentioned above, you don’t really miss the meat when you leave it out. When I first debated going vegetarian, I really only ate chicken at that point, and mostly buffalo chicken. Who doesn’t LOVE buffalo chicken?! Well, after going vegetarian, I realized you can really put buffalo sauce on anything…it wasn’t the chicken, it was the sauce. Much like how I don’t love salad/lettuce, but I love blue cheese dressing. Everything is pretty much a vessel when it comes to a sauce…we should probably just start eating whatever sauce it is with a spoon and save the calories from whatever we are putting it on. Anyway, total tangent, but I feel like it’s pretty relevant here. You don’t miss the meat in this recipe, and you know what, if you do miss it, ADD IT…who cares?
I forgot to mention above, I made this soup in the slow cooker, but you don’t have to. You can either make it on the stove top in about 20 minutes, or you can slow cook it all day and have a delicious meal ready for you when you get home in the evening. Totally up to you. Also, please please please don’t forget to add a handful of mozzarella cheese to garnish this soup; it’s a MUST. This soup is really low in calories (100 per cup if you use similar ingredients – scroll down for nutritional info)), so adding a copious amount of cheese is really a good idea. Any way you swing it, this soup is easy, healthy, and majorly delicious! If you have to have meat, use my recipe for CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP.
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained (this is 1 can + 1/4 cup)
- 14.5 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 4 cups water/vegetable/chicken broth (I use water plus a vegetable bullion cube)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped + more for garnish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups frozen corn
- mozzarella cheese for garnish (optional and not included in calorie count)
- avocado for garnish (optional and not included in calorie count)
- 1. In a large slow cooker, add black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, carrots, celery, green chilies, broth/water, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6+ hours.
- 2. About 20 minutes before serving, add corn, stir, cover and cook on high for 20 minutes.
- 3. Spoon into bowl, add cilantro, cheese, and avocado for garnish if desired. Serve immediately.
- Top make on stove top, add all ingredients except corn, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Add corn, stir, simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Garnish and serve.
Nutritional information for Vegetable Black Bean Tortilla Soup (based off my ingredients):
Thanks for visiting!