One thing I love about summer is summer cocktails. BBQ’s, cookouts, potlucks…whatever you want to call them, they are all great excuses to make a fun cocktail! Not too long ago I received a big care package from Familia Camarena Tequila, which included their delicious tequila along with some bar tools! I was so excited to try it out! Their tequila is 100% blue agave, and known for it’s smoothness. Usually I love making margaritas with berries (love these Super Easy Strawberry Basil Margaritas), but I thought since watermelon is everywhere during this time of year, I would give it a go. Mixing sweet watermelon with lime juice and agave, along with the alcohol, really was a winning combination. This could be served on the rocks (my favorite!) or blended.
I made this recipe two ways and included them in the recipe below. I wanted to make one for convenience and when serving several people (the pitcher), and one for if you just want 1-2 cocktails (the shaker version).
I actually preferred the version made in the pitcher, with the frozen limeade, however the shaker version was good as well. The watermelon really soaks up the tequila here, so make sure to eat those for a boozy treat!
- 1.5 oz. Camarena Tequila (or tequila of your choice)
- .5 oz. Triple Sec
- .5 oz. agave nectar
- juice from ½ lime
- 4 cubes of fresh watermelon
- 16-18oz Camarena Tequila (or tequila of your choice)
- 1 can of frozen limade (plus 2 cans of water)
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/2 lime, sliced in rounds
- In a shaker, muddle watermelon and lime juice, add remaining ingredients plus a cup of ice. Shake and pour into glass.
- Place watermelon into pitcher. Dump can of limeade and 2 cans of water into pitcher. Add tequila and lime rounds. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Before serving stir well and pour over ice to serve.