I am going to be honest and tell you right off the bat that I have never actually tried Beef Stroganoff. It wasn’t a meal that was ever cooked for me, and the only time I have ever seen someone eat it was while I was on vacation in Russia (it’s quite popular over there)…but it didn’t really appeal to me. By the time I really started cooking, I was a vegetarian and I never gave it a second thought. Flash forward to now, and in comes Mushroom Stroganoff (skinny style!). I frequent Skinny Taste, do you? If you answered yes, we are on the same page, if you said no, you should probably add that to your list of food blogs to check out. All of Gina’s recipes are made over to be lower calorie and still taste delicious at the same time. She uses nutritious ingredients and makes over traditional recipes along with coming up with new recipes as well. Check it out, she’s awesome.
Anyway, I saw this recipe for Mushroom Stroganoff and I figured I had to try it. It’s vegetarian and includes mushrooms, a creamy sauce, and pasta too…totally up our alley. I added it to the menu plan and never looked back.
Bear with me because it’s sort of difficult to make this look appetizing, but trust me, it tastes delicious! I made a couple substitutions just because I wanted to use a couple things on hand and it came out great. It really felt like I was eating a calorie heavy sauce (aka totally creamy), but I knew it wasn’t which made it taste even better. I ended up using wheat noodles, and part of me wished I used the white noodles…I will likely try those next time. This comes out to less than 270 calories (and 7 points+ on WW!) for a cup and a half of pasta…total score!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth (or beef if you're a carnivore)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 12 oz sliced baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms*
- 3.5 oz Shiitake mushrooms*
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine or sherry
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 8 oz uncooked noodles (Ronzoni Smart Taste, Healthy Harvest or No-Yolk)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- 1. Cook noodles in a pot of salted water according to package directions, I like to under-cook them a bit so I can mix it with the sauce and let it finish cooking.
- 2. While the water starts to boil for the noodles, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter over medium heat, add onions to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes over medium-low heat.
- 3. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds. Gradually add broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; stir and cook 4-5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- 4. Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 30 seconds.
- 5. Stir in sour cream (or Greek yogurt), add noodles and mix well. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- *feel free to use whatever mushroom blend you want