Roasted Red Pepper Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese is the perfect summer sandwich!
Ahhhh, nothing says summer like grilling, right?!?! I love love love grilling out, but being vegetarians it makes things a little difficult sometimes. Truth be told, I will take a hamburger bun and just stuff it with the burger toppings (sans burger) when we co to a cookout, because it’s honestly SO delicious! I have been playing with grilling actual sandwiches lately, and I am super excited to share with you my newest sandwich, this Roasted Red Pepper & Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese. Thank you to Mezzetta for sponsoring today’s post and inspiring me to try their bold peppers!
You know, I absolutely love Caprese sandwiches, but since I’ve already made a caprese grilled cheese, I wanted to do a play on that, but use Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers. The flavor from the peppers gives a real punch to the sandwich, and adding pesto plus fresh basil leaves is just an amazing burst of fresh flavor. I love this sandwich.
I don’t think I mentioned, you actually put these bad boys on a real grill. Have you ever grilled a sandwich on an actual grill?!?! It’s so delicious and easy! It gives the bread such a delicious crunch and melts the cheese perfectly. I love using the fresh mozzarella in this recipe too, but say you have everything on hand except the fresh mozzarella, then just use whatever sliced cheese you have – anything works!
Ahhhhh, so yum! Oh, did you know right now there is a BIG giveaway: the Mezzetta Bold, Bright Summer Giveaway! The Grand Prize is (1): Weber® Spirit® E-310™ gas grill (ARV $499.00) + Weber® 3 Piece Tool Set (ARV $22.99) + 5 jars of Mezzetta Peppers + Summer Entertaining Kit (Cooler, Wooden Cutting Board, Apron, Towel, and Beachball)!!! How amazing is that?! CLICK HERE to enter!
There will even be TEN runner-ups who will win: Weber® ORIGINAL KETTLE® 18” charcoal grill (ARV $79.00) + Weber® 3 Piece Tool Set (ARV $22.99) + 5 jars of Mezzetta Peppers + Summer Entertaining Kit (Cooler, Wooden Cutting Board, Apron, Towel, Beach ball)!!! Enter here!!! The contest runs: May 15th – July 15th, 2016.
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 1/3 cup Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- 4-6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 TBS prepared basil pesto
- 1 TBS mayonnaise
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- olive oil for brushing on rolls
- ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
1. Heat grill to medium heat.
2. To assemble sandwiches: open each roll, spread some basil pesto and mayo on each side of the bun (insides), add a cheese slice, half the roasted red peppers, half the basil leaves, another cheese slice (or 2), sprinkle salt and pepper, and close the top basil/mayo side down. Repeat for second sandwich.
3. Brush olive oil on the outsides of the rolls. Place sandwich onto the grill, and close the lid. Cook for 2-4 minutes with the heat on medium - you don't want the sandwich to burn. Flip sandwich over, and cook another 2 minutes or so. Remove from grill.
4. Allow to cool a few minutes, then slice in half and enjoy!
Do you like grilled sandwiches as much as I do? Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
Thanks for visiting!