Today I have yet another quinoa recipe, because really, do they ever get old?! No way! If you haven’t jumped on the quinoa bandwagon yet, you are totally slow, but it’s never too late! While quinoa seems to be a fad food right now, it’s definitely going to stick around. It’s one of the most complete foods, and is super healthy and great for your body. It’s also so versatile and can be used in so many dishes! Don’t believe me? Check out this Buffalo Quinoa ‘Mac’ and Cheese, for a healthy spin on the traditional favorite. Or how about some Strawberry Goat Cheese Quinoa Salad as a perfect side for those summer dinners? Want more inspiration? See more quinoa recipes at the bottom of this post. In particular I really like Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Quinoa.
Anyway, like I said, I am going to share another quinoa recipe with you- Spinach and Feta Quinoa Cakes. I love quinoa cakes because they are quick and easy, and so filling. I have made them several different ways, but my husband agreed with me that this is one of the best recipes we have tried. The spinach and feta go perfect together (the Greek were onto something here!), and topped with the cold lemon dill yogurt sauce, they taste amazing! These would definitely freeze up well if you wanted to make a large batch and save some for dinner another time. Serve these quinoa cakes alongside some roasted veggies or a heap of steamed broccoli and you have an awesome meal!
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, reduced-fat or whole
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (divided)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ounces chopped baby spinach (or, I like to use Earthbound Farms Zen Blend with Spinach, Kale, Chard along with some other greens!)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Whisk together the yogurt, scallions, lemon juice, and 2 tsp dill in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate the sauce for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium-size bowl.
- Add the eggs, quinoa, feta, 1 TBS dill, lemon zest, and 1/4 tsp black pepper and mix well. Mix in the bread crumbs and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the bread crumbs to absorb some of the moisture.
- Wipe out large skillet, and add 1 TBS oil. Heat for a few minutes.
- Form quinoa patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Place the patties in skillet, in batches if necessary. Cook the patties until they’re browned on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes per side, and then flip.
- Serve warm with lemon-dill yogurt sauce.
- You could bake these too if you would like!
Thanks for visiting!