Now that fall is coming, school is in full swing and things just seem busier, right? I always find myself trying to figure out what to make for dinner; something that is quick and easy, yet the whole family will love. When I came up with these Walnut Honey Mustard Chicken strips, I knew they would check off all the boxes!
First off, they are SO easy! You only need a handful of ingredients – Chicken, panko, walnuts, parsley, honey, and mustard. Really…how easy is that?! Throw your panko, walnuts, and parsley into the food processor for a minute, then you have the coating for the chicken strips.
I love using California Walnuts for this because they are the champion of plant-based omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid or ALA) among nuts, and are the only nut to provide a significant source of the essential nutrient (2.5 grams per ounce), and in addition to omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts offer other important components of a healthy diet, including 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber per ounce. I can feel good about feeding these California Walnuts to my family!
After you get your crumb coating together, then you can mix the yellow mustard with honey. If you have pre-mixed honey mustard you could also use that. Then dip your strips, coat them with the walnut crumb mixture, and then lay onto your baking sheet.
I like to give the tops of my strips a quick spray of oil or non-stick type spray, this helps them get crispy in the oven. I also like to place them on a baking rack (oven safe), because it makes it so the bottoms don’t get soggy. You can do this, or place them directly onto the baking sheet – either works!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips (or buy tenders)
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup California Walnuts
- 1 handful fresh parsley (or 1 TBS dried)
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. In a shallow dish/bowl, mix together yellow mustard and honey for chicken, set aside. Using a food processor or blender, add panko, walnuts, parsley, dash of salt, and dash of pepper; process for 1 minute or until processed into fine crumbs. Pour crumbs into a shallow bowl/container.
- 3. Arrange a baking sheet with a cooling rack over the top (this is optional), spray lightly with nonstick spray.
- 4. Taking each chicken strip, coat in honey mustard mixture, then place into crumb mixture and toss to coat. Set strip onto rack on top of baking sheet. Continue until all strips are done.
- 5. Lightly spray the tops of the strips with olive oil spray. Place into oven and cook 20 minutes.
- 6. Turn oven to broil, and broil the strips for 2-3 minutes, watching closely to prevent burning. Remove from oven, carefully flip strips over, then place back into oven and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until that side has crisped up a bit (careful not to burn). Remove from oven and serve.
- 1. Mix mustard and honey until completely combines. Place in serving bowl and serve alongside the chicken strips.
- **Using a wire rack while baking the chicken helps prevent the bottoms from getting soggy. If you use one, make sure it is oven safe and not plastic. Chicken can be set directly onto baking sheet if you don't want to use a wire rack.
If you like chicken, check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.