Being vegetarians, we obviously eat a lot of vegetables. Whenever we head out to a Mexican restaurant, there is usually a handful of options for us. That’s fine, because at least one is always delicious. I LOVE ordering Veggie Fajita Quesadillas, so I decided to start making them at home. Not only can you control how much oil is used, but they are also really healthy if you lay of handfuls of cheese. I like to top these bad boys with Greek yogurt, because it really tastes the same to me as sour cream, and then squeeze a little lime on top to finish them off. Veggie Fajita Quesadillas are a super fast, healthy, and easy dinner to whip up!
Another reason I love making these at home, is because they are kind of a ‘clean out your veggie bin’ kind of dish. Whatever you have in there that needs to get used up, you can toss in these bad boys. This time I made them with mushrooms, onions, and green peppers, but you could pretty much add any veggie to these. I have made quesadillas using roasted brussels sprouts, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, potatoes, sweet potatoes…I mean, like I said, the options are endless.
If you want to make these extra healthy, use whole wheat tortillas! They pretty much taste the same and have those delicious whole grains our bodies crave. Have the kids help make this dinner, they LOVE assembling these and then cutting with the pizza cutter!
- 4 flour or whole wheat tortillas (10 inches)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 green peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- greek yogurt or sour cream for topping
- 1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, spray nonstick spray and add mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until cooked through; set aside. Wipe skillet out.
- 2. Spray skillet again with nonstick spray, place 1 tortilla in the bottom of the skillet, add 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup pepper jack on top. Then add half of the sauteed vegetables. Then top with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup pepper jack, set 2nd tortilla on top. Place skillet on stovetop, over medium heat**. Allow to cook 4-5 minutes, over medium heat, then carefully flip to other side. Cook 3-4 additional minutes or until crisp and the cheese is melted. Remove and set on a wire rack. Repeat previous steps for second quesadilla.
- 3. Slice the tortillas into 8 slices, like a pizza. Squeeze lime over top; serve 4 wedges per person, topped with optional garnishes.
- **Cook over medium heat, not high. If you cook over high the tortilla will crisp up much too fast and the cheese will not melt.
- Served 4 people, 4 wedges each or half of the large quesadilla.
Like Mexican food as much as we do? Check out these other recipes on Domestic Superhero (click picture for recipe):
Thanks for visiting!