For the last few weeks we have been doing a lot of juicing at my house. I decided I wasn’t such a fan of strawberries in the juice recipes, so I had a couple pints of strawberries hanging out in the fridge. I woke up on Saturday morning with the urge to use them, because they were on the brink of going bad, and I hate wasting food. So I decided to make some strawberry scones, which I thought was a great idea…until I was in the middle of making them, and realized I added way too much heavy cream. I was about to toss them because I figured they would be nasty, but I just rolled with it because hey, I hate wasting food. I dubbed these ‘biscones’, because they seemed to be a hybrid of a scone and a biscuit. I was thinking I was totally awesome and I invented this new cool ‘biscone’…but then I googled the term and it turns out I didn’t make it up. Oh well, still awesome. I topped these bad boys with an orange glaze and called it a day. They are delicious, and so much less fussy than making scones or biscuits! You can’t mess these up, which is totally awesome when you a terrible baker, like me. Add these Strawberry Biscones with Sweet Orange Glaze to your weekend menu, because I swear, sitting down with one of these bad boys and a delicious hot cup of coffee will be the highlight of your weekend.
I actually think you should serve these to guests, because when you tell them it’s a biscone, I bet they will think you invented it and how awesome is that? Genius.
If you aren’t a big fan of strawberries, you could really use any berry in this recipe and they would be fabulous. Trust me, you will love them!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 TBS grated orange zest
- 1 stick frozen butter, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for glaze)
- 1 TBS freshly squeezed orange juice (for glaze)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment; mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add grated butter slowly and mix at the lowest speed.
- 3. Combine the egg and heavy cream in a small bowl, then slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture continuing to mix on the lowest speed. Mix until just blended. The dough will be lumpy but wet seeming.
- 4. Add the strawberries to the dough, and mix on low speed until just blended.
- 5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Using a 1/4 measuring up, scoop up dough and drop onto baking sheet. Place 1-2 inches apart.
- 6. Brush the tops of the biscones with egg wash. Place in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until browned on the top.
- 7. In a small bowl whisk powdered sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over biscones and serve.
- Feel free to try different berries in this recipe.
Baking these on a silpat is key here – they get evenly baked and don’t stick to the pan! Win win!
Thanks for visiting!