With summer rapidly approaching I have been wanting to make the perfect summer veggie burger. I actually love frozen veggie burgers, and I have experimented with several homemade veggie burger recipes, but I have never found one that stood out. It’s hard to get the texture and consistency right, and often times they end up falling apart.
Making these burgers was incredibly easy and they were by far the most delicious burger I have ever consumed. They did turn out a bit spicy, so if you don’t like a lot of spice, I would suggest scaling back on the spice a bit…for my family, they were spot on! After I made the black bean burgers, I topped them with two delicious slices of Kraft Big Slices Swiss cheese, grilled pineapple slices, crispy onion rings, and Kraft Honey BBQ sauce. We could not get our hands on these fast enough!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 14.5 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained (I used canned, but you can also use cooked dry beans as well)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup corn, at room temperature (frozen or fresh is fine)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- salt and pepper
- 3 TBS vegetable or coconut oil
- Pineapple slices (about 12 slices for 4 burgers), grilled
- 12 onion rings
- Kraft Honey BBQ sauce
- Kraft BIG Swiss Cheese Slices
- 4 Ciabatta rolls, lightly toasted and cut in half
- 1. Put onion, jalapeno and garlic into a food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Add beans, oats, corn, green onion, cumin, curry powder, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper and pulse for about 20 seconds or until fully mixed. Scrape downs sides of the bowl and process for 10 seconds.
- 2. Place mixture into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- 3. Remove chilled mixture from refrigerator and stir in breadcrumbs. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 5. Pour oil into a skillet and place over medium heat. Form mixture into four equal patties (using a 1/2 cup measuring cup works well). Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through.
- 1. Place bottom of roll on plate and add 1 slice of swiss cheese on top. Then add a spicy black bean burger patty, a smear of honey BBQ sauce, another slice of cheese, 3 pineapples slices, 3 onion rings, and about 2 TBS of honey BBQ sauce (more or less if desired). Place top of roll on the top of the burger.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Serve with lots of napkins and additional sides if desired.
- **Makes 4 burgers
Thanks for visiting!