When I first saw this recipe, it reminded me of the corn that my friend introduced me to in Brooklyn. We hit up a newish/upscale Mexican Restaurant and she raved about their amazing corn with chili powder and cheese. I was skeptical (mainly because it involved a mayo sauce, and I am not a huge fan of corn to begin with), but I decided to give it a try anyway. I was blow away by the flavors coming together, and how perfect everything blended. Flash forward 3 years later, this corn is popping up everywhere, and I hear people talking about it all the time! Recently I have been making a lot more lower calorie and healthy recipes, just trying to be more healthy. I love love love the Skinny Taste Website, and have found it extremely helpful in finding healthy and delicious recipes. So I was browsing around the site and I stumbled upon this Warm Mexican Corn Salad! It looked really good, and with the kick of lime I was pretty sure I could appreciate it. I asked my boss if I could make it for her, along with the Ginger Fish I was already making, because it seemed like it would be a great side dish for the meal. So I made it at work (super easy), and it looked so good that I went home and made it again for my family. My husband loved it, and so did I. I will say though, I don’t think that it kept that well. I would probably keep it for one day, and then toss it. This would make a great dish to bring to a potluck or summer BBQ as well, but I suggest making it the same day you would need it.
This recipe calls for cotija cheese, which can be difficult to find. The only place I could find it was Whole Foods, and it was a little expensive. The original recipe says that Feta would be an easy substitute, so keep that in m,ind if you can’t find it. I also read that Queso Blanco could be a substitute as well.
- 4 large fresh cobs of corn (**or just use a package of frozen corn, like me, 1.5 bags or about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice (from half a lime)
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- 2 tbsp scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup (40 g) cotija cheese, grated
- 5 lime wedges for serving
- 1. Boil corn in boiling water for 5 minutes, remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, cut corn off the cobb. (makes 4 cups)
- 2. In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, yogurt, chili powder, and lime juice; mix well.
- 3. Add corn, cilantro, scallions and cheese and toss.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- **I used bagged frozen corn since that is what I had on hand. I cooked it first, and then let it cool a bit, and followed the directions from step #2.
- Servings: 5 • Size: about 3/4 cups • Points+: 4 pts
- Calories: 152.5 • Fat: 4.9 g • Carb: 25.3 g • Fiber: 3.5 g • Protein: 5.8 g • Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 144 mg