One Pot or Crock Pot Loaded Quinoa Chili is the perfect healthy vegetarian chili that will satisfy even the pickiest meat eater!
I love chili, but being a vegetarian it’s hard to find a good chili that isn’t just all beans. I like beans, but I also like a little variety. I love this recipe because it is loaded with veggies and beans, and it’s so easy to make! You can either make this in the crock pot or make it on the stove pot! This One Pot or Crock Pot Loaded Quinoa Chili is a perfect healthy recipe (scroll down for nutritional info) for a cool fall or winter day!
This chili is really yummy! It’s hearty and satisfying, and I know plenty of meat eaters who also love it, and don’t even miss the meat. I love how healthy this chili is too; at only 208 calories per servings (not counting the garnishes), it’s really waist friendly! It’s perfect for cold winter days, and it would be perfect to bring to a football party or cookout! It’s up to you if you want to whip it up in 30 minutes on the stove top, or if you want to let it cook all day in the crock pot. I have made it both ways and it’s always delicious.
While this recipe is vegetarian, you could also add meat if you want. You can easily make this recipe vegan as well, just leave off the cheese and sour cream!
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup unsalted tomato sauce OR 1/4 cup unsalted tomato paste + 3/4 cup water
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBS reduced sodium soy sauce
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- cheddar cheese, optional for garnish
- green onions, optional for garnish
- greek yogurt, optional for garnish
- 1. Rinse the quinoa in a colander, set aside.
- 2. In a soup pot, heat the oil on medium-high; add garlic, jalapeno, onion, and celery. Sauté until soft (about 3 minutes). Add green and red peppers and cook 5 more minutes. Add spices and herbs; sauté 2 minutes. Add the beans, water, tomato sauce/paste, and quinoa; bring to boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. Stir in soy sauce and pepper.
- 3. Serve garnished with cilantro, green onions, cheese, and greek yogurt if desired.
- 1. Sauté jalapeno, garlic, celery, and peppers in oil for 5 minutes on med-high. Add spices and herbs, stir 2 minutes
- 2. In the crock pot add water, tomato sauce, salt, quinoa and beans. Add ingredients from above that were sautéed.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 5 – 6 hours
- 4. Add soy sauce and pepper.
- 5. Serve garnished with cilantro, green onions, cheese, and greek yogurt if desired.
- I use kidney and black beans for this recipe, but you could really use any type you have on hand. You can add other veggies that you like as well; carrots, corn, more peppers, zucchini…it would all be good! I also usually freeze this, because it reheats really well.
Love quinoa like I do? Check out these other great quinoa recipes!
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!