Portobello Philly Cheese ‘Steaks’ – all the flavor, less fat, and sooooo delicious! Done in 20 minutes!
I have been wanting to share this recipe with y’all for a while, so I am really excited the time has finally come! I’ve made this a bunch of times over the last month and they are SOOOO GOOD! I even did a live video on Facebook (click to watch) to show you exactly how to make them! These are the perfect sandwich, and if you are a vegetarian, like me, then this recipe will be right up your alley. If you are a meat lover, this recipe would be perfect for meatless Monday, or you could easily add some chopped steak to the sandwich; but, you should trust me when I say, these Portobello Philly Cheese ‘Steaks’ are super ‘meaty’ without the meat – insanely delicious and super easy to make!
This is one of those awesome recipes that comes together in under 20 minutes, and you would never be able to tell. The flavor on the vegetables is rich and deep, and it’s just such a satisfying sandwich. I recommend getting the large portobello caps for this recipes, and slicing them thin as that kind of mocks a steak strip, but you could also use baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms…I happened to use both when I made these the most recent time and it was great. Like I said earlier, if you want to have steak on your sandwich, cook the steak first and throw the veggies in the skillet when there is about 5 minutes left to cook the steak.
Ahhhhh! These are seriously so so good. I am telling you, make them right now! Someone asked while I was doing the live video on Facebook, if other cheeses would work as well; I think so. I think a havarti, gouda, or mozzarella cheese would all work wonderfully in this sandwich, but I just LOVE the provolone.
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps stems and gills removed, sliced
- 1 green pepper seeded and sliced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBS white flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 TBS lite soy sauce
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 sub rolls warmed and sliced
- nonstick spray
1. In a large skillet, spray nonstick spray, and add onions, portobello mushrooms, and green peppers; saute for 1 minutes. Sprinkle oregano and black pepper over the vegetables, and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes or until they are tender.
2. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir to coat with the flour; continue stirring for 1 minutes. Add vegetable broth and soy sauce to skillet, and turn heat to high. Stir to distribute and dissolve flour. Cook for about another minute, or until sauce has thickened (should be quick).
3. Place filling into each sub roll, and top with a slice of cheese. Garnish with more oregano if desired. Serve immediately.
Things you may need for this recipe:
If you like this recipes as much as I do, check out these other delicious sandwiches from Domestic Superhero:
Thanks for visiting!