Now, I know, it’s the time of the year where EVERYTHING turns into pumpkin…pumpkin spice cookies, pumpkin spice coffee, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin syrup, pumpkin tacos… I’ve even seen pumpkin whipped cream to go on top of pumpkin hot chocolate! I mean, really?! Where does it end?! I’m not usually one to jump on the pumpkin train, because honestly, I don’t care for all the pumpkin craziness that much. However, when I do find something pumpkin-y that I like, it’s usually not ‘pumpkin spiced’, but rather real pumpkin. When I was making another One Pot Pasta dish, with creamy cheese and red pepper flakes, I thought to myself, ‘why not throw in the extra pumpkin puree from the fridge?’ So I did. I thought maybe I was making a huge mistake, but boy was I wrong! This One Pot Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta turned out savory and super delicious. Try it, now.
First off, I know I hooked you with the One Pot…right?! Who doesn’t love a good one pot meal? You don’t dirty a bunch of dishes, your dinner comes together in 20 minutes or less, and generally, they are all fabulous. I really haven’t met a one pot meal that I didn’t absolutely love. We rotate my favorites, Spicy Thai Noodles, Jalapeno Pasta, and the Original Tomato Basil One Pot Wonder…YUM. They are all so different yet so delicious. This One Pot Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta is the perfect blend of pumpkin, creaminess, and cheesiness. There is also a touch (very small touch) of heat which really just makes the dish pop. Whatever you do, don’t forget the salt here, because it also helps bring out the flavors.
I also had to throw some parsley on the top. I like a little herb-y crunch, and I also like how it breaks up the color form being…ehhh, so orange. Anyway, if you are looking for a seasonal side dish, or meal, make this. It would be great served on Thanksgiving, or anytime. I am definitely going to be whipping this up on the regular. You know, canned pumpkin puree is in the stores all year round, so this is definitely a make any time recipe. OH! And you know what else this would probably be equally delicious with? Instead of pumpkin, butternut squash. Oh yeah, total yum.
- 12 ounces pasta noodles , such as elbows, farfalle, or penne (any type works)
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 TBS butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese , room temperature and cut into cubes
- parsley for garnish
1. In a stockpot or deep sided skillet, add noodles, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to blend together, and put on the stove over medium/high heat. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, stir, cover, simmer for 2-4 more minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
2. Add butter and cream cheese cubes, stir continuously until the cheese is melted and incorporated.
3. Serve and top with parsley if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Like One Pot Meals as much as I do? Check out some of my other recipes!
Thanks for visiting!