Fire Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons is the perfect cold weather comfort food, yet healthy at the same time.
Lately we have been eating a lot of soup at my house. It’s generally pretty easy to make, and healthy too (deja vu?!). Like I said in a previous post, I have been trying to make a couple weekday meals, on the weekends, so that I don’t have to cook every night. I’ve made this Fire Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons for years, and actually posted it a few years ago on Domestic Superhero, however, I’ve updated the photos so I figured I would share it with y’all again.
I don’t know about you, but I always make grilled cheese to go with my tomato soup, right?! I figured making some sandwiches and then I’d cut out the dipping middle man, and just toss the chopped up sandwich pieces into the soup…hence croutons. It’s perfect, trust me.
The base of this Fire Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup (carrots, celery, onion, garlic, broth), is very similar to a couple of other soups I make all the time. Upon first glance, my husband even thought it was my Tomato Basil soup that I frequently make, but the roasted tomatoes and red peppers definitely set this apart.
This makes a really large amount too, at least 8 cups, so I put half of this in the freezer, and half in the fridge for dinner. The Fire Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup comes out to about 91 calories per cup (depending on if you follow the ingredient list), so it’s definitely healthy. Of course adding the grilled cheese croutons will add some more calories, but even so, it’s a pretty healthy low calorie meal.
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 TBS flour
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 2 tsp. sugar (I used 1 tsp. Stevia)
- 1/2 c fat free half-and-half
- Salt and white pepper
- 4 grilled cheese sandwiches, cut into “croutons” – I used havarti cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic, cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir over low heat for 1 minute, or until the flour is fully incorporated.
- 3. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, red peppers, tomato paste and sugar and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook the soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- 4. Use immersion blender to puree soup or transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to pot and cook until heated through.
- 5. Make your 4 grilled cheese sandwiches. Cut into croutons.
- 6. Season the soup with salt and pepper, garnish with croutons, and serve.
- Tip: I use my food processor grating attachment to 'chop' all my veggies. I throw all of them in, and let it do it's job...this saves lots of prep time, and since it's a soup and is later pureed, the consistency of the veggies is fine.
Like healthy soups as much as I do?! Check out these other recipes from Domestic Superhero:
Looking for more soups?
Things you might need to make this recipe:
- Immersion Blender – makes blending the soup so easy and quick!
- Stock Pot – You need a big pot to make this soup. Double or triple the recipe and freeze extra for later!
- Santoku Knife – makes chopping all those veggies super easy!
Recipe adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling.
Thanks for visiting!