A few weeks ago we had our annual ‘Drinks and Desserts’ holiday party where we get together with friends before the craziness of the holidays really begins. It was such a nice time, and I prepared 4 desserts, this one included. This recipe was a new one for me, but I was excited to try it because I love candy canes! I figured this would be a hit with the adults because of the richness of the dark chocolate and the bite of the peppermint, but it was also a hit with the kids.
These Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies are fairly easy to prepare, and they are like 100 times better the day after you make them. I don’t know why, but they turn even more fudgy and delicious. The recipe does pack a lot of peppermint punch, so if you want to downplay that, just use less extract than the recipe calls for. These are definitely a great seasonal treat, and I will be using this brownie recipe (sans the peppermint) for my go-to homemade brownie recipe from now on!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Coarsely crushed peppermint candies, very fine pieces sifted out
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°. Grease a 9- by 13-in. baking pan and set aside.
- 2. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder into a bowl.
- 3. Microwave butter and bittersweet chocolate in a medium glass bowl, stirring often, until melted and smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 4. Whisk together sugar and eggs in a large bowl until blended. Add extracts and whisk to blend. Stir melted chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Gently fold in flour mixture with a plastic spatula until no streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- 5. Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted 2 in. from edge comes out with a few crumbs sticking to it, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool about 45 minutes.
- 6. Put dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and cook 15 seconds at a time, mixing, until melted (probably about 45 seconds-1 minute but mix every 15 seconds). Put melted chocolate in a resealable plastic bag, snip off a small corner tip, and drizzle half over brownies. Sprinkle with candies and drizzle with remaining chocolate.
- 7. Let cool until chocolate sets, 25 minutes, then cut into squares.
- If you don't enjoy a large peppermint taste in the brownies, reduce the extract to 1/2 tsp. You can also leave that out and use this recipe for regular brownies!
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!