So this is just an update of a previous recipe, but it’s still worthy of a post! I followed the recipe for Buffalo Quinoa Mac and Cheese, and added broccoli.
Lets take a look back at the original Buffalo Quinoa ‘Mac’ & Cheese….mmmm
Anyway, I realized that you can add any veggie you like in regular mac and cheese, to bulk up and add extra healthy filling to this protein packed recipe. Last night I even tried it with cauliflower, and I couldn’t even tell the cauliflower was in there…the texture was almost identical to the quinoa! With this recipe being under 500 calories per servings, it might not be ‘diet’ food, but it’s not a crazy splurge either…it is the right balance and it really is healthy with all the protein and calcium. I eat this as a full meal, but it could easily be served as a smaller side.
Here is the recipe with broccoli:
What I did was just follow the original recipe, steamed the broccoli, and then mixed it all together at the end. Put into the dish, and broiled.
- 1-1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 bag frozen broccoli cuts (or fresh, whatever you want)
- 1. Preheat broiler. Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- 2. Cook broccoli (do not overcook) in microwave/on stove/however you want. Set aside.
- 3. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a separate saucepan over medium heat. Pour in remaining milk, and green onions. Switch to a spatula and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then cook for one minute while boiling.
- 4. Remove the pan from the heat then add in buffalo sauce and cheddar cheese. Season with a few dashes of salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is completely melted then add in cooked quinoa, and stir to combine. Add the broccoli, stir to combine.
- 5. Pour into a non-stick sprayed casserole dish and top with blue cheese. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly. You can also use individual ramekins (I did).
- Serves 4
Like us on Facebook for frequent updates and tips!
Love quinoa like I do? Check out these other great quinoa recipes!