Quinoa is seriously one of my favorite foods in the world. It is so versatile and can be used in recipes that call for other ingredients such as rice, cous cous 0r some sort of filling. I recently saw a recipe where it was used in making lasagna, in place of real noodles…genius! Another one of my favorite things ever, is buffalo sauce. At points in my life I have contemplated opening a restaurant with just buffal0 flavored foods…I think it would be a great success, because it seems like anything can be turned ‘buffalo’ style, and it’s always delicious. I would definitely have these little Buffalo Quinoa Bites on my menu…probably under the appetizer section. At my house we ate these as a main dish, but they seem perfect for an appetizer, or dish to pass at a party or potluck. I’ll likely bring these to parties from now on, because they totally replace the idea of buffalo wings…and they are way healthier, too.
I make tons of Quinoa Cakes, and these are like a little mini version. However, instead of lightly pan frying them, I tried baking them in a mini muffin tin, which turned out to be the best idea ever. It was way faster than cooking them on the stove top, and healthier too (hey, every calorie counts!). Baking them in the tin also made them crisp all over the outside, which was way better than being soggy on the sides. If you have tried my Buffalo ‘Mac’ and Cheese (clue, it’s not macaroni, it’s quinoa!), then you would definitely love these. In general, if you like buffalo flavor, you are going to love these…trust me.
Mix everything together….
Scoop into mini muffin tins…..
Bake & Serve…
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 large eggs
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Franks buffalo sauce
- 2 small celery stalks, diced small
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp white)
- 4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese, softened (also sold as 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese, or you can use regular cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup low-fat, plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dip ingredients until well incorporated. Place in the fridge while you prepare the bites.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray the cups of a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all remaining quinoa bite ingredients until well mixed.
- Spoon about two tablespoons of the mixture into each of the cups of the mini muffin tin. (for me it was helpful using the actual tablespoon) Press bites down with back of a fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bites are set and beginning to brown on top.
- Let cool for five minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and serve warm with the dip.
- Serving size: About 3 bites and 2 tablespoons dip.
- Servings per recipe: 8
- Nutrition per serving (about): 213 calories, 13g fat, 14g carbs, 10g protein
Love quinoa like I do? Check out these other great quinoa recipes!