These Buffalo Mashed Potato Pancakes are the ultimate party appetizer! Creamy mashed potatoes on the inside, a crispy crust on the outside, and then loaded with buffalo sauce and blue cheese on the top!
Once you whip up the potatoes, just add your other ingredients and mix it all together!
Then you are going to form the potatoes into pancakes. I will say, you should coat your hands in flour, because they are a bit sticky. If you are having a hard time forming the pancakes, add a little more flour to your mixture – a little at a time and let it firm up a bit. Once you make your pancakes, toss them in a skillet with some oil and fry those bad boys up! Be careful not to flip these too early, you need to have a nice crispy crust on the one side before you flip it…if you flip too early, it’s going to fall apart, so be careful!
This is seriously the perfect recipe for the BIG GAME, or for anytime really. I know we love buffalo sauce like crazy, and buffalo + sporting events go together perfectly! If you want to go on a BIG ADVENTURE, you are in luck! Right now you can choose your favorite Game Day recipe (pick this one!) and get a chance to choose your own Boise adventure.
- 3 cups prepared Idaho Spuds Creamy Ranch Potatoes, cold (preferable refrigerated overnight)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles, plus more for topping
- ½ cup flour + 6 TBS flour
- 2 green onions, chopped, plus 1 for garnish
- 3 TBS buffalo sauce, plus more for garnish
- Blue cheese dressing for dipping
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl add potatoes, egg, cheddar cheese, ¼ cup blue cheese, 6 TBS flour, chopped green onions (2), and buffalo sauce; stir until completely mixed.*
- In a shallow bowl, add ½ cup flour. Form your pancakes using about 2 TBS of mixture- form into a pancake shape, about ½ inch thick, then dredge into flour to coat both sides; set aside and repeat for remaining mixture.
- In a high sided skillet, add about ½ cup oil, enough that the oil is about ½ inch high in the skillet. Heat over medium and add pancakes, cooking about 4-5 at a time, but not overcrowding them. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, until there is a golden crust forming**, flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain off excess oil. Repeat for all pancakes, adding oil as needed.
- Stack pancakes, about 4 per person. Drizzle blue cheese dressing, buffalo sauce, additional blue cheese crumbles, and green onions to garnish. Serve hot and enjoy!
- * The potato mixture should be THICK, if it seems too thin, add more flour until it’s thicker.
- **Careful not to flip the pancakes too soon or you risk them not having a nice crisp crust, and they will break apart.
Like Big Game Appetizers as much as I do? Checkout these other delicious appetizers from Domestic Superhero:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.