Continuing with the theme of this week, soups, I have a delicious Cheesy Vegetable Chowder Soup for you. This soup reminds me of cream of broccoli soup, which I love, but hate all the fat and calories. This soup seems creamy and rich, and is filled with delicious flavors. The base of this soup (carrots, celery, onion, and garlic), is the same base that starts off this Tomato Basil Soup and this Fire-Roasted and Red Pepper Soup. I highly suggest making these (or 2 of these, which I did) at one time because your prep time will be cut in half. Throw all the base ingredients into the Food Processorfood processor, and then divide for each soup. These soups make large portions, and you can put half in the freezer for other meals, and then use the other halves for weeknight dinners! BAM, two+ dinners out of the way in no time!
I have also turned this soup into a healthy version, so you don’t have to feel one bit guilty when eating it. Using skim milk, reduced fat cheese, and broth as the base, reduce both calories and fat in this otherwise heavy soup. If you aren’t counting calories then you can use the fuller fat ingredients, but really, I don’t think there is any difference in taste. I toasted up some cheesy bread for dipping, too, because it is not possible for me to eat ‘chowder’ without bread or crackers!
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 TBS garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used yukon)
- 1 TBS flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (I probably used more like 3, so whatever you like!)
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp)
- 1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender.
- 2. Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
- 3. Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
- 5. Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
- I used my food processor to grate all my veggies. I always do this with soups since it's quick and easy.
Like healthy soups? Check out all my skinny soup recipes:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!