Lately we have been eating a lot of soup at my house. It’s generally pretty easy to make, and healthy too (deja vu?!). Like I said in a previous post, I have been trying to make a couple weekday meals, on the weekends, so that I don’t have to cook every night when I get home from work. This weekend I made 2 soups, so I will share this one with you. When I first saw this Fire-Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup on one of my favorite blogs, my mouth was watering. How is it that I had never thought to cut up grilled cheese and put it into the soup?! We always dip our grilled cheese into the soup, but this is definitely a clever spin on that idea. I knew I would love this soup because 1.) I love fire-roasted tomatoes, 2.) I love roasted red peppers, and 3.) I love grilled cheese….I mean, was there any possibility that I wouldn’t love this soup?!?!
The base of this soup (carrots, celery, onion, garlic, broth), is really similar to a couple of other soups I make all the time, so I was wondering if it would really taste all that different. Upon first glance, my husband even thought it was the Tomato Basil soup that I frequently make…and it looks like it, too. But the roasted tomatoes and red peppers definitely set this apart. I only made a few changes from the original recipe (used veggie stock instead of chicken, used no calorie sweetener instead of sugar, and cut down the initial butter), and I don’t know if there is really any taste difference, but I doubt it, because it turned out perfect and delicious.
This makes a really large amount too, at least 8 cups, so I put half of this in the freezer, and half in the fridge for dinner one night this week. I didn’t calculate the calories per serving, but it is definitely a low calorie soup, and then the grilled cheese balances it out to a healthy meal.
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 TBS flour
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 2 tsp. sugar (I used 1 tsp. Stevia)
- 1/2 c fat free half-and-half
- Salt and white pepper
- 4 grilled cheese sandwiches, cut into “croutons” – I used havarti cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic, cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir over low heat for 1 minute, or until the flour is fully incorporated.
- 3. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, red peppers, tomato paste and sugar and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook the soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- 4. Use immersion blender to puree soup or transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to pot and cook until heated through.
- 5. Make your 4 grilled cheese sandwiches. Cut into croutons.
- 6. Season the soup with salt and pepper, garnish with croutons, and serve.
- Tip: I use my food processor grating attachment to 'chop' all my veggies. I throw all of them in, and let it do it's job...this saves lots of prep time, and since it's a soup and is later pureed, the consistency of the veggies is fine.
It totally wasn’t good….
Recipe adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling.
Like healthy soups? Check out all my skinny soup recipes:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!