It’s no secret that we eat a lot of soups over at our house. They are usually easy to make, the recipes can be doubled and frozen easily, they go good with most side dishes, and they are perfect for cold weather. ’Skinny’ soups are also a great way to keep your calorie intake low (well, that and will power), because most healthy soups are fairly low calorie. I highly suggest doubling this recipe and freezing some for later, because it’s delicious and makes an easy dinner, or quick lunch to bring to work.
This recipe was from Paula Dean (so you know, a bajillion calories to begin with), so I knew I would have to fix it a bit. It also called for ground beef, so since we are vegetarians, that was taken out. You could easily add the meat back in, and I will even leave a note for what to do with it at the bottom. Anyway, meat or not, this recipe turned out so good! I love, love, love Mexican food, and enchiladas especially, and it felt like I was eating the real deal here. My husband loved it too, and it’s definitely going to be on our regular rotation from now on!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 8-oz cans no salt added tomato sauce (or 32oz of your own sauce)
- 1 10-oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14.5-oz can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz can great Northern beans, rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz can black beans (this I added in place of the meat)
- 1 14.5-oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6-oz frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese
- Fat free greek yogurt or fat free sour cream, for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend or fat free cheddar cheese
- For stove top (***see below for crock pot)
- 1. Spray a large stock pot with cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until it starts to become translucent. **(Add beef, season with salt and pepper again, and cooked until just browned. Do not overcook the beef. It will continue to cook as you finish the soup)
- 2. Add tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, beans, tomatoes, cumin and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- 3. Add salt if needed. Add corn, cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup fat free cheese and stir until melted.
- 4.Garnish with Greek yogurt or sour cream and your choice of cheese, if desired.
- **If using beef, use 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef (95% lean). See Directions (**) for when to add meat. Also, I added the black beans as a meat replacement, so you can either omit those or leave them, shouldn't matter.
- ***Want to use the crock pot? If using the meat, I would cook and brown the beef first, and then add all the ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (should really be fine however long you cook it, I'd just throw it in the pot in the morning, and take out after work). Add the cheese and stir once you take off the heat, and then serve with garnish.
Like healthy soups? Check out all my skinny soup recipes:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!