When I was in college, I spent one summer working at a popular Mexican restaurant in my hometown. At that point, I didn’t really know much about Mexican food, aside from that I liked pretty much everything I had tried. During my training period, I had to learn about all the food on the menu, memorizing all the ingredients, what everything was, what it was served with etc (if you have worked in a restaurant, this is likely a familiar process to you). Flautas, Chile Rellenos, Tamles, Flan…everything was delicious, and it was rare I came across something I didn’t enjoy. After a couple months of working there, they decided to feature a limited time ‘special’ dessert. This was the first time I had heard about Sopapilla cheesecake….a mexican spin on cheesecake. This dessert is incredibly easy to make, and affordable, and they are delicious. Hosting a party? Pair this with some Mexican Baked Eggs or Black Bean and Potato Enchiladas and be on your way! These Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars are the perfect addition to any fiesta!
I have lightened up this dessert by using neufatchel cheese in place of cream cheese, but you could also use cream cheese. In my opinion, if didn’t make any change on the taste.
- 2 cans Crescent Rolls
- 2 (8 oz) packages neufatchel cheese, softened (or cream cheese)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 2. Unroll 1 can of crescent rolls and lay flat in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stretch the rolls to cover the bottom of the pan. Pinch any seams closed.
- 3. In a mixing bowl combine neufatchel cheese, 1 cup sugar and vanilla until combined and smooth.
- 4. Spread the mixture over top of the dough. Unroll your remaining can of crescent rolls and lay this on top of the cheese mixture, again, pinching closed any open seams.
- 5. Pour your melted butter on top of the crescent roll.
- 6. In a bowl mix the remaining sugar and tablespoon of cinnamon together and sprinkle that evenly on top.
- 7. Bake for 30 minutes until top is golden brown. Let cool for approximately 20 minutes and then put in refrigerator to completely chill before cutting into squares.
- Serve cold, or warm up individual slices for 10 seconds in the microwave. Enjoy!
Thanks for visiting!