For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with spinach and artichoke anything. When I moved to New York, I stumbled upon a pizza joint called Artichoke, and it was love at first site. Their pizza is amazing. Think super thick crust, hot cheesy spinach and artichoke dip spread over the dough, and baked with cheese on top.
It is sooooo good. No matter how hard I try, I don’t think I will ever be able to replicate their delicious recipe. If you are in New York City, you MUST stop by there and get a slice of artichoke pizza. MUST. Anyway, I was looking at some yummy dip recipes and I happened to find a Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke recipe over at How Sweet it Is. I made a couple modifications (like using wheat crust instead of white), and it came out pretty good. Honestly, I think it would have been better on white crust, but that is a personal preference.
- 1 ball of pizza dough (I used TJ's whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 (6 ounce) bag of fresh spinach (I used 10 oz. frozen bag)
- 1 (14 ounce) can of artichoke hearts (5-7 count)
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain artichokes and press with a paper towel to reduce some of the moisture. Roughly chop, pressing with a towel again, then place in a bowl. Add ricotta cheese.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add in shallots with a pinch of salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and spinach, tossing to coat and cooking until spinach is wilted. Transfer spinach mixture to the bowl with artichokes and ricotta, then add salt, pepper, 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle pizza dough with 1 teaspoon olive oil and brush to coat. Sprinkle a bit of mozzarella cheese over top of the dough, then spread spinach ricotta mixture evenly over top. Cover with remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.